Newcastle (H) Post Match Thread

Bernado did play very well and like you say, he came on and grafted and wanted the ball, which was a huge boost.

But he did come on in the middle which gave us an extra man in there straight away. Just the extra body meant we were less vulnerable to the counter, and everyone instinctively knew their role because it was such a familiar shape.

I was disappointed he was moved out wide, but I suppose it might have been because Pep was planning on giving John Stones a few minutes in centre mid.

I'd like to see more of him in the middle.

Whilst that might have been simply because we went 433, I think it was more to do with Bernardo being very dynamic, and being all across the pitch trying to create something, his running and touch was sublime for 10 minutes. It might be a bit of both, but for me Bernardo was more the catalyst, and should have been on 20 minutes earlier for me, he also works defensively.

I didn't realise you were playing ;-)

Talent abounds in our side - and we've the best manager in the world.
====
My opinion - a bit of complacency has set in.

Too - we have a very talented Mahrez and Mendy who both are basically new to our side - Pep needs to figure out how to best utilize their talents.
====
When the ball turns over, the initial press towards the man who has the ball seems very lacking. We do a decent job at cutting off lanes - but it's the burst towards the man with the ball that seems lacking - from multiple players.

Fitness likely plays a role in this - but again - I think it's complacency.

Pep will sort this out.

Talent abounds in our side - and we've the best manager in the world.
====
My opinion - a bit of complacency has set in.

Too - we have a very talented Mahrez and Mendy who both are basically new to our side - Pep needs to figure out how to best utilize their talents.
====
When the ball turns over, the initial press towards the man who has the ball seems very lacking. We do a decent job at cutting off lanes - but it's the burst towards the man with the ball that seems lacking - from multiple players.

Fitness likely plays a role in this - but again - I think it's complacency.

Pep will sort this out.
our best man at winning the ball back Kevin is injured .

our best man at winning the ball back Kevin is injured .
It's not down to just an injured KDB for me at all.

Rather, it seems to me as if most of the team feels entitled to a win - we're better than the other side, we're going to win. No great effort need be expended.

This is reflected foremost in our defense - but too in our offense - we're just not trying 100% with an attitude that we're going to beat you by as many goals as we can.
===
At least this is my perception - but viewing our team only on TV once every week or so obviously may overlook many things.

I was disappointed he was moved out wide, but I suppose it might have been because Pep was planning on giving John Stones a few minutes in centre mid.

I'd like to see more of him in the middle.

Yeh I agree that Bernado looks much better in the middle.

I get the feeling Pep is reluctant to play Bernado and David Silva in the middle at the same time, possibly because they both lack a bit of physicality?

Yeh I agree that Bernado looks much better in the middle.

I get the feeling Pep is reluctant to play Bernado and David Silva in the middle at the same time, possibly because they both lack a bit of physicality?
>> I get the feeling Pep is reluctant to play Bernado and David Silva in the middle at the same time, possibly because they both lack a bit of physicality?[
I don't think so.

Rather I think that until this year, we did not have anyone better than Bernardo to play right wing - ideally we want someone really fast with a very good cross to play there.

This year, we have Mahrez. On paper he'd seem to be the ideal fit but for some reason hasn't quite jelled.
===
But because we have Mahrez, Bernardo finally isn't our best option at right wing - and now he can play centrally where he really shines.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.