Newcastle rearranged date?

Europa league doesn't make any difference to 4th place we would have 5 teams in the C/l. Only Chelsea winning the C/L would cost 4th place.

Wouldn't Chelsea winning the CL only cost 4th place if United or Liverpool also won the Europa League?

Either way its very unlikely, but still possible, therefore enough to invoke a fear of Cityitis, a desire to not count chickens..

Wouldn't Chelsea winning the CL only cost 4th place if United or Liverpool also won the Europa League?

Either way its very unlikely, but still possible, therefore enough to invoke a fear of Cityitis, a desire to not count chickens..
You are correct as far as I am aware. The only way 4th spot misses out is if both Chelsea win CL & an English side (outside top 4) win Europa League.

Obviously less likely with Spurs looking good for top 4 & L'pool facing United in Europa eliminating one.

I'd be more worried about us getting 4th, bringing Pep in, then his first act as City manager is us getting eliminated by some minnows in the qualifying round - that would be a typical City style I feel ;-).

on basis that Sevilla won Europa last season, Spain had 5 teams in champions league this season. Valencia, Sevilla, Athletic, Real, Barca

You are correct as far as I am aware. The only way 4th spot misses out is if both Chelsea win CL & an English side (outside top 4) win Europa League.

Obviously less likely with Spurs looking good for top 4 & L'pool facing United in Europa eliminating one.

I'd be more worried about us getting 4th, bringing Pep in, then his first act as City manager is us getting eliminated by some minnows in the qualifying round - that would be a typical City style I feel ;-).
I don't think so unless it's changed I think if Chelsea win C/L they replace the 4th team irrespective of the Europa league. Same as last time when Spurs finished 4th and didn't get in, when Chelsea won it. That would be more typical spurs if it happened again.

I don't think so unless it's changed I think if Chelsea win C/L they replace the 4th team irrespective of the Europa league. Same as last time when Spurs finished 4th and didn't get in, when Chelsea won it. That would be more typical spurs if it happened again.
I'm no expert but I researched this a few weeks ago & my findings seemed to suggest what I wrote (both have to happen for 4th to miss out otherwise we'd just get 5). The limit for a country is capped at 5 & European competition just adds to the initial 4 rather than replacing 4th; unless both win then you'd have the top 3 & the 2 winners in Europe.

I believe it has changed since the example you gave with Spurs.

I'm no expert but I researched this a few weeks ago & my findings seemed to suggest what I wrote (both have to happen for 4th to miss out otherwise we'd just get 5). The limit for a country is capped at 5 & European competition just adds to the initial 4 rather than replacing 4th; unless both win then you'd have the top 3 & the 2 winners in Europe.

Yes, after Chelsea nicked Spurs' spot it was changed so that there would be an additional CL spot if a team outside the top 4 won the CL. But when they later gave a CL spot to the Europa League winners they also introduced the cap so that only 5 teams at the most can qualify.

You're right. There is a maximum of 5 teams. It's only if a country hits 6, that the league 4th place is kicked to the EL.

Yes, after Chelsea nicked Spurs' spot it was changed so that there would be an additional CL spot if a team outside the top 4 won the CL. But when they later gave a CL spot to the Europa League winners they also introduced the cap so that only 5 teams at the most can qualify.
Yes we can only have 5 teams maximum , but my point is there is no link between c/l and Europa. If Chelsea win c/ l then they replace the 4 the place team they don't become a 5th qualifier and never have, whether an English team has won the Europa or not.
If an English team win the Europa then they qualify for the c/ l as a 5th English team and join either the top 4 or the top 3 and Chelsea. Anyway this is way off topic so beast leave it for a different thread.

Yes we can only have 5 teams maximum , but my point is there is no link between c/l and Europa. If Chelsea win c/ l then they replace the 4 the place team they don't become a 5th qualifier and never have, whether an English team has won the Europa or not.
If an English team win the Europa then they qualify for the c/ l as a 5th English team and join either the top 4 or the top 3 and Chelsea. Anyway this is way off topic so beast leave it for a different thread.
That is not the way I read the rules.

The maximum of five teams in the CL would only be an issue if teams from a particular country won both the CL and the EL and both finished outside the top four.

That could have been an issue had Chelsea won the CL and United or Liverpool won the EL. That would result in the team finishing 4th being bumped down to the EL. It obviously isn't going to happen now with Chelsea eliminated, unless City or Arsenal win the CL and end up outide the top four.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.