Newcastle United (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Not great but a draws not a bad result. Without De Bruyne we just don’t have that magic moment. Looked a bit vulnerable at the back too at times. Last 4 games have been a bit ropey now for me.

Thuggery from the first minute. How did Joelinton, Bruno etc stay on the pitch?? We gave the ball away to many times in midfield. Should have won that easily.
Agreed. It's something that's just swept aside these days.

You know what it reminds me of that old saying "Ah it's just a typical Scholes tackle, He could never tackle so it's just a given".

Every week our team has to put up with this shit. Joelinton had 4 nailed in yellows before he actually got booked, Bruno is also allowed choke Grealish on a yellow. Trippier didn't get booked at all which is fucking scandalous.

IMG-20240928-WA0001.jpg

Mostly off the pace. Valuable point

We're now living through the period many City fans feared... A season without Rodri. Until the very poor Gundog was substituted for Foden, we lacked creativity & cohesion in attacking midfield which ultimately cost us.

The Geordies had the better of the opening half hour as Gundog was caught sleeping on the ball several times, & bullied off it on others. Coupled with his errant passing, it felt like we were playing with 10-men, as well as without Rodders & KDB. Not good enough.

IMG-20240928-WA0000.jpg

Our brilliant opener came against the general run of play I thought, after Grealish battled for the ball near the halfway line & gained a fortunate bobble which meant he won the duel. He surged forward to place a slide rule pass to the very good Gvardiol, who took the ball in his stride, checked back sending the defenders the wrong way & placed a ball through Tonali's legs for a sensational goal. Newcastle were unfortunate to be a goal down, but we went in at half-time ahead.

Screenshot_20240928_145947_Gallery.jpg

Newcastle came at us on the restart & we struggled to assert ourselves in midfield. Rico had a quiet game which mostly passed him by, but the little he did, he did well as opposed to Gundog who was now looking like an anvil weighing down a drowning man.

Newcastle stabbed a hopeful ball forward to Gordon, who was played just onside by Walker's trailing leg. He raced toward goal 1 on 1 versus Ederson who missed the challenge & caught Gordon for a penalty. Gordon scored from the spot to give Newcastle the goal they'd threatened & probably deserved.

IMG-20240928-WA0002.jpg

Probably a bit later than it should've happened, Pep hauled off the very poor Gundog to be replaced by Foden. We immediately looked better balanced, more cohesive & threatening. Foden's had a slow start to the season with rest & injury, but he quickly got back up to speed as we started showing more urgency & took control of the game.

Jack & Rico were replaced by Doku & Savinho, & the latter in particular slotted in seamlessly on the right, which allowed Bernardo to move central to have a greater effect on the game.

Doku offered his usual bag of jeopardy on the left, but he seriously pissed me off when an attack broke down, the ball was passed from defender to defender, then out to Murphy. If Doku had bust a gut, at worst he'd have arrived at the same time as the ball, but he allowed it to crawl to Murphy & didn't even attempt to track him & make a challenge. Thankfully the move fizzled out to nothing, but having just come on, this wasn't good enough from Jeremie.

Screenshot_20240928_151615_Gallery.jpg

The game drifted out to a draw, which Newcastle seemed to be the more happy with than City at the end. My MoTM was Gvardiol for a good display & a brilliantly taken goal.

That's 3 draws in a week without Rodri, but I think Gundog not being up to speed yet has been a big factor in that. I though the defence were good over all, but we lacked a cutting edge in the creative department. Hopefully Phil is returning to form & fitness, as I think Gundog should be given a rest & time to regain his form & fitness from the bench.

giphy.gif

Disappointing result, underwhelming performance, seemingly a lot shots on goal and yet at least 10 fewer we used to do. Never in control or putting pressure with all possession we have like some seasons ago, going out of our minds once we concede. Injuries, players not in form, Foden looks like there his nothing else for him achieve and Pep trying to find his perfect team by rotating everybody out of form. Considering everything, a very good point, still very happy we didn't lose.

Line-up too cautious, changes too late.

Lewis is not the solution to Rodri's absence. Benching all of Foden, Savinho and Doku in order to have Lewis and Gundo in there didn't really work out. We weren't playing at Bernabeu or Anfield after all.

Thuggery from the first minute. How did Joelinton, Bruno etc stay on the pitch?? We gave the ball away to many times in midfield. Should have won that easily.
Because that’s the way they play and always have. You add Tonali to the list and you have a midfield three that was physically stronger and taller than our three. However, for all that, they lacked the technical cutting edge and had to rely on speed up top and breaks.

It feels like points dropped, given our late chances, but I’d have taken a point beforehand. At the same time, I’ve got reservations about how that same midfield will cope in February, when our fixtures look really demanding.

Wtf.
You’re putting words into my mouth.
I’ve blamed him for his poor defensive position, which ultimately led to a penalty being awarded and costing us the goal.
Ederson cost us that by being rash

Plus the midfield gave it away for them to go though on goal

It happens (can't be on line to get the offside) more for a lack of communication from all the defenders

But let's blame Kyle for everything

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.