Newcastle United (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Penalty or not, the damage is done when you let Gordon run through one-on-one with the keeper.

I thought it was a reasonable performance. Not great, but not bad. We can be a bit indifferent early in the season but we finished quite strongly and I was very encouraged by Foden's performance. Newcastle away is much more difficult than either of the sides that Liverpool and Arsenal played today. My own feeling is that Liverpool play a game that will lead to injuries and burnout, as it did under Klopp. Arsenal have had to go to the well a few times already this season. It is a long season and we're handily placed after six games. I reckon two of our away games already played are in the five hardest we'll play all season.

Much has been made of our record without Rodri, but those defeats last season were without Rodri AND De Bruyne. The return of De Bruyne cannot come soon enough and I think we'll break the habit of a lifetime by investing in January.

Hold your nerve, blues. We've been here before and come out on top.

Too critical that. Played away. Early game. Managed the match lovely until that penalty that wasnt. Haaland had a knock to his achilles. One of them days. We did alright with a point
If we had been otherwise excellent so far this season and this was a one off I'd accept that but its been on the cards since the start of the season, Haalands brilliance masked a poor game against a struggling to adapt west ham, Brentford could easily have beaten us, nevermind taken a point and we salvaged something at the death against 10 men arsenal, ipswich is the only game we've turned up for so far this season. We need to be much, much better.

The pen I’m not going to debate, I haven’t actually seen a replay, however I’ve grown up with the defence from the officials that ‘intent is enough’ being used as a reason to fuck my club over, and over by diving players.
It was checked by VAR I believe, but we had 2 other shouts for a penalty that the commentators said immediately had been checked, and cleared. I mean we have all seen how long VAR takes, so you know.

As for the result, I’ll say what I said on our forum. It was one of those games where if we had lost, we would have had to just hold our hands up and say you guys have the better players and that’s likely always going to be the difference. If we won we could have said we fought and performed well to do so.
A draw means both teams can go away, and say it was a deserved result.
I’m massively pleased with our performance, in all our games so far we have been 2nd best, despite the results. As I said in my opening post, if we play like we did today against other opposition, we’ll bounce some teams.

Aside from games against us, good luck for the rest of the season.
Fair points. My only question would be why your players seem capable of raising their performance so markedly against us yet play so meekly against other teams? Maybe a question for Howe. Hope you can now put some consistent form together and be in a position to take points of Chelsea/Arsenal when you meet them in the space of a week.

Just got home. That was very disappointing

4 or 5 players just not at the races. Gundo was really really poor and his bad decisions and poor play possibly cost us 3 goals

Peps Rodri plan today did not work. Back to the drawing board for plan B

He needs to find a solution quick cos despite people playing down his absence, we look half the team with him not there
A plan B for the person that is starting to become recognised as the best footballer in the world?

I think Bernie should be an automatic starter as 1 of the midfield 3. Different player to Rodri but covers a shed load of ground and will make Kovacic's life easier.
For me, it’s a pretty easy solution. Kovacic, Bernie and Foden as the midfield three. Grealish and Savio on the wings. Lewis tucking into midfield.

Reading through this, and a few other threads, it seems clear that the glory days are in the past. It seems that we thought the relegation to the third tier was a disaster, but the consensus seems to be that we are doomed once again. FFS!

Not sure what the deal with Foden is, even if he's a bit rusty he's worth 60 mins even if it's just to give the opposition something to think about. Walker's defensive nous has completely abandoned him and Bernardo looks a bit lost these days. We need an influx of youth and energy

I'd be surprised if we won 85+ pts this season. Unfortunately, Rodri's absence is going to be significant. We are likely to draw more games than last season.

But...unlike 19/20 when Liverpool decided the title already in the first 20 games, chances are that Arsenal and Liverpool won't win 85+ pts either. Arsenal will find it difficult to compete for the title 3 seasons in a row, and Liverpool are not the finished article.

85 pts might be enough.

If we manage to sign a quality DM in January and if he hits the ground running, we can win the title. Will be difficult, though.

Fair points. My only question would be why your players seem capable of raising their performance so markedly against us yet play so meekly against other teams? Maybe a question for Howe. Hope you can now put some consistent form together and be in a position to take points of Chelsea/Arsenal when you meet them in the space of a week.
The season before last we played so well against pretty much everyone. Last season not so much, but we were crippled by injuries, plus fixture congestion.
This season has been a slow start, but that isn’t uncommon for teams who press higher up the pitch. The hope now is that we crack on, we obviously have the cup game on Tuesday which we should win, next Saturday we play Everton away, and I want us to go there and have their fans beeeewing from the 1st minute at their own players, and for us to aggressively put them back into the bottom 3.

A snap shot for the rest of the season imo, the time for change was in the summer and we again didn’t

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.