Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

Of course pep is a genius and he has his reasons , but he argues for five subs, we buy Philips and others and he doesn’t use anyone, I know we fought back but it must frustrate these players to not get any minutes

Players on the pitch would of been in the same boat as them on the bench so that will gain more respect

Yes, against a team that presses us high, Bernie needs to be in midfield. If Gundo is looking for those spaces in the box and we lose the ball. Rodri is then exposed. My change would have been, to move Bernie into midfield, take off Gundo and play Alvarez on the right. We would have been more secure in procession and a guy up front who presses hard. Just an opinion.

Spot on. Bernardo in midfield is much more suited against teams pressing like maniacs and run a lot, like Newcastle yesterday, like Leeds and Liverpool. He runs so much with an amazing workrate defensively. Gundogan should play the games where the opposition doesn’t go all out attack.

I love Pep but it’s almost misconduct not changing your tactics midgame when you see them constantly slicing through us. The signs were so clear they would eventually score.

Fair play to Newcastle and St Max in particular. Trippier should have been off - airborne knee high lunge. However, Haaland looks like he's playing against kids - has a Yaya type ability to resist attempts to foul him. At some point we'll be fully tuned into the service he thrives on.

Possession does not tell the whole story. We always have more possession. They had six shots on target (to our ten), and as many corners. How often do you see us allow that, from any team in England or Europe, apart from the dippers? There was a point after about twenty-two minutes in the first half when our game completely went to pieces. Overall, I think it's a pretty fair result, and the most important thing I take away from it is the mental steel that we showed after going two behind. That's what we now show (as we did against Villa), and it will stand us in good stead for the season.
There will be loads of games like this , thus season. Getting used to less domemance in CM to accomodate a CF = some wins and some losses. Teams are getting stronger as welk. Strange WC year...league is wide open this season.

it looked to me like walker was just getting in the way in midfield, taking rodri's space while leaving us wide open down the right where we were getting ripped to shreds, i don't undrestand why pep didnt change it

Yes, quite a lot of differences between them. And I still don’t think Stones’ was a red card neither but there was far more force in his than Trippier’s.
Stones took a wild swing at the ball, missed, thumped a knee and withdrew his foot almost at the same time

Tripper hung his foot out for a full flight DeBrune to clatter into with his knee

There is no difference in the impacts the knees of both players took, yet one was upgraded and the other downgraded

What we saw yesterday was one fantastic game of football. Well played Newcastle for giving us a really hard match and we'll done our boys for going toe to toe and gaining a battling point. At the end we looked the more likely winners but they had a late chance too. Anyone who didn't enjoy that doesn't enjoy football, don't become rag like and expect wins before a ball is kicked. Great game both teams a great treat for the TV audience.

When I suggested last year that we should keep an eye on Walkers pace diminishing and be prepared to shift Cancelo over and buy a left back, I got the reply that I was being ageist. Hmmm..

Tbf, I am pretty sure they keep more than one eye on the performance of every player in incredible detail and if there was any age-related drop-off they would know about it earlier than us. I am sure it is in hand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.