Newcastle United (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

Very professional performance especially as they had a difficult game midweek. Pep didn't want to change anything. Ake was available I think but he doesn't want to break the rhythm perhaps? And who could Ake replace anyway?
Grealish tracking back helped enormously. He's maybe been chatting to Bernardo about getting ground covered during a game.
Ederson's long kick out in the 91st minute to Walker was just sublime- as good if not better than anything Onana produced earlier.

1 little critique.
Anyone else think we coulda brought Palmer on for Big Erl on the hour ? The Viking wasn't having his best day, maybe Alvarez would've got another moving to 9.
Not really, having Haaland up front is a good out when the defence or midfield are under pressure. We can just get the defence or Eddie to whack it long for Haaland to hold it up allowing the rest of the team to move out from the back. We don't have that outlet without him.
I think bringing Palmer on makes more sense if we're 2 or 3 up and cruising as then we can rest Haaland, see what Alvarez can do up front on his own and give Palmer some minutes in the team. 1 - 0 up against a top four level, counter attacking team isn't the time for that for me.

Think we were mint especially considering the midweek game in Greece. We showed the Geordies the benchmark for what it takes to be champions in this league. They were lucky to only be one down and have all their players on the pitch, on another day Big Earl would be taking another ball home with him.

Also what a player Kovacic is, looked like he'd been with us for years already.

Sheff United, Fulham, west ham, Forrest wolves arsenal. You don't think the best team in Europe, perennial slow starters and injury hit squad with big players leaving being undefeated into October wouldn't put the pretenders on the back foot already?
No. Because it doesn't work like that. They know we're the ones to beat regardless of where we are by the time we meet them. We've proved it 5 times in the last 6 years. The only advantage at that point would be psychological, but I doubt it would affect this team very much, if at all, especially after what we did last season given how far behind we were at one point. Nobody ever decided the title winners after what, 8 matches?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.