Next 3 to come in

I'm not convinced we need to add to the defence. Best defence in the league for the last few seasons and we have versatile players. Rekik is coming through and will surely get a few cup games under his belt. Not to mention having cover with Y. Toure, Rodwell and Garcia who all can play CB if we absolutely required.

LB: Clichy/Kolarov/Lescott
LCB: Nastasic/Lescott
RCB: Kompany/Richards
RB: Zabba/Richards

CB cover: Rodwell, Garcia, Y. Toure

The midfield is very busy with the two new additions and I can't see how we would be in a position to add to it without first selling. Garcia will almost certainly be much improved next season after a full pre-season under his belt. Fernandinho, Toure and Silva are guaranteed starters leaving Milner, Nasri, Navas, Barry and Rodwell fighting for the remaining 1/2 positions.

I suspect Rodwell will be heavily involved and is clearly highly regarded (see Khaldoons end of season interview) so that leaves 0/1 places left for the remaining four.

With the amount of midfielders you would have to think we are going with one up top with a major emphasis on the midfield supporting. If this is the case having more than two top class strikers is unmanageable. Aguero, Dzeko and the emerging Guidetti is fine.

I believe the club are thinking the same and realises the squad possessed too many 'first team profiles'. It is not manageable and causes friction. In my opinion you need a 15 first team profiles with the rest being dependable back ups. A smaller harmonious squad (Barcelona, Dortmund) is better than a large friction riddled squad (Real Madrid). It creates a strong unity with players understanding their role within the team, the club and gives them the confidence to play to the top of their ability.

Let’s not forget that we had a very good squad under Mancini however there seemed to be a real lack of a unified team with players not understanding their role or place in the team. It pains me to say but you only need to look at United to see how creating a team can work well. The team that won the league last season had very few world class profiles yet won it at a canter. Valencia, Cleverly, Jones, Evra, Rio, Smalling are all very average yet started many of the games.

The squad has had the fat trimmed and is now (after the sale of Tevez) manageable. If anyone else is to leave they will be replaced but I do not foresee us adding further 2/3 first team players to what is already there.

If Pelle can create a team with the existing squad I genuinely have no concerns going in to the season as we are.

Martin* said:
I'm not convinced we need to add to the defence. Best defence in the league for the last few seasons and we have versatile players. Rekik is coming through and will surely get a few cup games under his belt. Not to mention having cover with Y. Toure, Rodwell and Garcia who all can play CB if we absolutely required.

The midfield is very busy with the two new additions and I can't see how we would be in a position to add to it without first selling. Garcia will almost certainly be much improved next season after a full pre-season under his belt. Fernandinho, Toure and Silva are guaranteed starters leaving Milner, Nasri, Navas, Barry and Rodwell fighting for the remaining 1/2 positions.

I suspect Rodwell will be heavily involved and is clearly highly regarded (see Khaldoons end of season interview) so that leaves 0/1 places left for the remaining four.

With the amount of midfielders you would have to think we are going with one up top with a major emphasis on the midfield supporting. If this is the case having more than two top class strikers is unmanageable. Aguero, Dzeko and the emerging Guidetti is fine.

I believe the club are thinking the same and realises the squad possessed too many 'first team profiles'. It is not manageable and causes friction. In my opinion you need a 15 first team profiles with the rest being dependable back ups. A smaller harmonious squad (Barcelona, Dortmund) is better than a large friction riddled squad (Real Madrid). It creates a strong unity with players understanding their role within the team, the club and gives them the confidence to play to the top of their ability.

Let’s not forget that we had a very good squad under Mancini however there seemed to be a real lack of a unified team with players not understanding their role or place in the team. It pains me to say but you only need to look at United to see how creating a team can work well. The team that won the league last season had very few world class profiles yet won it at a canter. Valencia, Cleverly, Jones, Evra, Rio, Smalling are all very average yet started many of the games.

The squad has had the fat trimmed and is now (after the sale of Tevez) manageable. If anyone else is to leave they will be replaced but I do not foresee us adding further 2/3 first team players to what is already there.

If Pelle can create a team with the existing squad I genuinely have no concerns going in to the season as we are.
Great Post.

Martin* said:

And IF we get Sergio out... and or Dzeko ermmm come on.. ahhh plan z put Lecott up front!! we need 4 new players to replace what we had, winning the League... two have come in we need 2 more

Martin* said:

i was just about to say exactly the same :).

spot on,weve a great squad already.

stanHayes said:
Martin* said:

And IF we get Sergio out... and or Dzeko ermmm come on.. ahhh plan z put Lecott up front!! we need 4 new players to replace what we had, winning the League... two have come in we need 2 more
Guidetti plays/takes up the bench spot. He has proven at every level he has been exposed to that he can score and deserves the chance. He will definitely have been given assurances when he got his new deal last year as he has never hidden the fact that he believes he is good enough to be playing more regularly.

Aside from that you can pull anything apart with what ifs. The chances of having both Sergio and Dzeko injured at the same time are minimal. If for whatever reason they are we play Guidetti for the few games we need to in addition to his cup games. It is absolutely insane to have three top bracket strikers for one position on the off chance that two are injured at the same time.

Shall we sign Reina and Valdes as back up on the off chance Hart and Costel get injured?

MrDaveyHavoc said:
If Madrid swooped City on a late bid for Isco despite this non agression pact, do we really see City funding that same move by purchasing Di Maria/Higuain?

It would be childish of us not to consider it.

Di Maria is still a quality player, if we could obtain him at a reasonable price (less than what they end up paying for Isco) we've:

a) Added a quality player to the squad
b) Forged a bit of goodwill with Real in the process

When it comes down to it Isco is choosing to play for Madrid, it was always his decision. No reason to burn bridges with Real because they managed to sign one of our top targets; he's a quality player their interest is justified.

Sentimentally I agree with you, I'd love nothing more than to tell Perez to shove off, but from a business perspective it'd serve us well to keep an open mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.