Next Captain

You can see when Kolo plays for Ivory Coast how determined, vocal and influential he is. When he first arrived here he was doing quite a good job of marshalling things from the back, he tried very hard to help Micah. I guess something went wrong in the mean time because that all stopped by mid season, Micah apparently preferred to listen to SWP (ye gods). Although he won't be a first pick, I would stick with him as club captain, as I think he has a superb attitude and bags of experience. Having his brother as a key player in the dressing room will strengthen his ability to influence things. Viera could fill this role but really he's going to be aligned to closely to the coaching staff to be trusted fully by the players.

So we'll still need a deputy. Kolo's brother is not quite as vocal, and can be a bit indisciplined, so that rules him out. Kompany has a great head on his shoulders and is very articulate, but I think lacks the gravitas to rule over people like Bellamy and Tevez. De Jong is not right for the job, he is one of the least tactically aware players in the starting eleven. One of the main problems caused by a lack of true leadership this season was the tendancy to stay too deep too long. De Jong was one of the culprits here. If he can't, or won't push himself out, how can you expect him to get everyone else to do it? Tevez is a talisman but also an individualist at heart, he's an absolute non-starter. Given did okay in the role, he is very strong mentally, and has a big mouth, but I would suggest Barry is likely to find himself wearing the armband on most match-days.

I would have loved to see Bellers get it . He wears his heart on his sleeve and tbh I think he would be a perfect captain without the attitude but i would like to see de jong or kompany get it both natural leaders.

Call me naive, but... Do captains actually do that much different than other people in the team?
OK, they talk to the ref when a player needs to calm down etc, but thats nothing that should make a player stand out?

Vocal leaders will be like that regardless of being given the captains armband.. Should be given to someone who may work a bit harder as a captain..

Kompany De Jong and Bellars will always be the same and as leaders...

according to most younger players Bellamy is the one who helps them in
training and he isn't a captain..

It's something that's been overlooked but it's important that the right decision is made.
A clear captain, a clear vice captain and so on.
For me he needs to be vocal, obviously he has to know how to lead and popular in the squad helps.

Kompany, a strong lad, has a lot of respect in the team.
or
Given, a very popular player, has a lot of experience as captain and was nearly always the stand in captain at Newcaslte when they were in between managers.
But he's a keeper, so I don't know. I still think he'd make a good captain.

I remember when Steve Staunton was manager of Ireland (dark times..dark times) and he picked Robbie Keane as captain over Given who was highly favoured at the time, he said in the interview that the reason he didn't was because he was a keeper and at the end of the day, Given didn't need the armband to roar off his line, now if anyone sits behind the goals he's in you will hear just how loud he can be.
And maybe that is the point, players who are vocal will always be vocal, they don't need the captaincy for that to happen.

Just we need to pick the right captain and we need to stick with it. It needs to be someone the players respect and strong enough to take any pressure thrown at them and lead by example.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.