NFL?

leighton said:
The injuries are a joke to get injured with all that protection is hard to beleive they are pussies in my view. To be honest from what I have seen the tackles arent that bad. I would love to see a rugby player play and see how they get on in all areas. The players are much more able for the phiscal side of the game and to be padded up they would be bullit proof in American football.

Rugby is a tough sport no doubt, but as far as ^ goes, you are talking out of your arse blue. Its apples and oranges, no point in even comparing the two.

leighton said:
The injuries are a joke to get injured with all that protection is hard to beleive they are pussies in my view. To be honest from what I have seen the tackles arent that bad. I would love to see a rugby player play and see how they get on in all areas. The players are much more able for the phiscal side of the game and to be padded up they would be bullit proof in American football.

Leighton in all fairness your talking bullshit about a game you dont understand

leighton said:

Leighton, I have a lot of time for you but on this issue you are TOTALLY CLUELESS. Have you EVER been stood near one of these guys??? Rugby is a great sport but different.

Let me ask you this, if rugby players were superior and tougher, how come NOT ONE has come over here and made it big. Hell, even made it small??? There are LARGE financial gains to be had. How come it hasnt happened???

I don't understand how people don't like the sport.

The strategy, the speed of the running, the power of the lineman, the huge hits, what's not to like? The length of time? Its on average just less than 3 hours. The stoppages? Lots of sports have a play then stoppage, cricket, tennis etc.

As for the ignorant 'they're pussies as they wear padding' point of view, the people who think this couldn't be more wrong.

The game is more dangerous than rugby. The ball is passed forward ffs, which increases the speed of the running which leads to bigger hits plus anyone gets hit and not just the ball carrier.

Plus every ten yards there are collisions as one team try to pick up or stop the minimum 10 yards. The defence needs to stop the player dead in his tracks and force him backwards, this leads to the American Football style head and shoulder high tackling as a rugby style wrap up would allow the team with the ball to pick up the 10 yards every time.

When they played without padding, every season there were many, many deaths. Plus even with 'padding' the average NFL career is just 3 years due to injuries.

This video is of Chris Owusu, he's had 3 concussions in the NCAA (college football) season, and now will probably never play in the NFL.

Watch from 0:47.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QR5XJJodR0&[/youtube]

Frank the Yank said:
leighton said:

Leighton, I have a lot of time for you but on this issue you are TOTALLY CLUELESS. Have you EVER been stood near one of these guys??? Rugby is a great sport but different.

Let me ask you this, if rugby players were superior and tougher, how come NOT ONE has come over here and made it big. Hell, even made it small??? There are LARGE financial gains to be had. How come it hasnt happened???

Frank the main reason they havnt gone over is simple. The reason they havnt is because there is huge money to be made in rugby on the longterm than in NFL if you are only getting 3 years playing then for most its a no brainer and play 10 to 15 years in rugby. I could ask you the same question how come no American footballer ever play rugby they just dont do it.

I have never seen any NFL player but I have seen some Rugby players and they are built like tanks in some areas of the pitch. You have 18 stone of muscle running at you at speed with some of players in rugby these lads would take some stopping.

Frank the Yank said:
leighton said:

It used to be a very similar game in the old days.

Gavin Hastings went into the sport when he retired.

leighton said:
yeah it's like the soft gets in F1 who wear seatbelts and jockeys who pretend to be hurt when a horse rolls over them,and as for the nutters on motorbikes whinging about dangerous tracks,they wear leathers and stuff ffs........you dont get rugby players moaning cos they are ded ard them.Strange how they could earn a thousand times more in gridiron and none ever make it even though they are so much arder.Must be a loyalty thing.or something.I do know many aussies and all-blacks have tried ,none have made a roster let alone a place on a squad

leighton said:
Frank the Yank said:
leighton said:

Frank the main reason they havnt gone over is simple. The reason they havnt is because there is huge money to be made in rugby on the longterm than in NFL if you are only getting 3 years playing then for most its a no brainer and play 10 to 15 years in rugby. I could ask you the same question how come no American footballer ever play rugby they just dont do it.

I have never seen any NFL player but I have seen some Rugby players and they are built like tanks in some areas of the pitch. You have 18 stone of muscle running at you at speed with some of players in rugby these lads would take some stopping.

Check out what Martin Johnson or Martin Offiah have to say about the NFL as they are huge fans.

Yes, rugby players are big but American Football players are massive. My favourite offensive line player, Jake Long, is 6'8 and 23 stone!!

American Football players are also much faster, they have to be as it's the nature of the game. Even the big offensive lineman have to run the 40 yard dash in around 5 seconds.

leighton said:
Frank the Yank said:
leighton said:

OK Leighton maybe I can learn something today and I am being sincere. How much can a star rugby player make, an average guy, the minimum. I think the minimum in the NFL is about $400,000.

Lets see, you consider 18 stone big?? Yes for any normal hum being it is but for an NFL lineman, thats waaaaay too small!!!!!

Running back, wide receivers and line backers usually go at least 16 stone. Some are bigger. One stone is 14 pounds right??

Frank the Yank said:
leighton said:
Frank the Yank said:

OK Leighton maybe I can learn something today and I am being sincere. How much can a star rugby player make, an average guy, the minimum. I think the minimum in the NFL is about $400,000.

Lets see, you consider 18 stone big?? Yes for any normal hum being it is but for an NFL lineman, thats waaaaay too small!!!!!

Running back, wide receivers and line backers usually go at least 16 stone. Some are bigger. One stone is 14 pounds right??

Yeah something like that. 18 stone is 252 pounds, so that would be like a small Linebacker or Safety, sometimes even a quarterback. Way too small to be a lineman.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.