NHS appointments.

Has anyone blamed health tourists yet?

I wouldn't say 'health tourists' per se.

There are, however, people that try & skip payment (do one if they can after surgery/ care) & that has happened with Russians, Nigerians & Polish.

It's down to Band 2 staff, though, for collecting the data they need to process these people, then down to the finance dept to chase them. This system, however, contradicts the Hippocratic Oath as care is the first port of call for Docs & Nurses.

That said, all this is a drop in the ocean & doesn't affect the system, really.

The Tories hate the NHS, they would get rid tomorrow if they could and had no backlash ..... Tories would love the US system of insurance if you can afford it ....and basic care if you cannot, I mean here in the USA you can see a doctor at a clinic free of charge if your poor but if that doc says you need a CT scan and surgery ......your fucked, also ventolin inhaler without insurance ....$300 each

The odd few tourist costs .. We can split the estimated costs into two categories:

Normal use: The estimated cost of normal use of the NHS—by foreign visitors who've ended up being treated while in England—is £1.8 billion a year (including a small number of European visitors treated in the rest of the UK). This includes the cost of treating them in A&E, though visitors aren't currently charged for this, and the cost of treating some foreigners resident in England who currently don't incur charges.

Only around £500 million per year is estimated to be recoverable or chargeable according to the Department for Health. In reality only £100 million was recovered in 2013/14.

Deliberate use: This is the estimated cost of treating those travelling to England deliberately for free treatment, or those who take advantage of the health system while here (which means using it more intensively than they might have done otherwise). This group is particularly difficult to quantify as we don't really know who most of them are. It's thought they could cost the NHS somewhere between £110 million and £280 million a year, on top of the £1.8 billion a year.
Tourists who get ill whilst they are here get treatment or should we let them die in the streets? charge them for use then,there is no point blaming anything on them if the rule is we don't charge them,i suspect it would cost more to set up the system to charge them than it's worth
Deliberate health tourists can't be quantified then,somewhere between £110m and £280m is a wild guess at most
It's our age and health that is the problem,we have to take responsibly to stay as well if you can and cut down on chronic diseases as they cost a fortune
How we sort out the system is not for me to get into because i just don't know,the figures are beyond me to be honest,i only care about patient care,anyone who has been in the caring profession who look down on sick people should never be allowed to work in it again

Well, I have been waiting a month for a referral for a scan on my back. Just received through the post a letter giving me an appointment for next Monday quickly followed by a line of type telling me not to attend this appointment.

I Quote: This information is provided by the clinic for people attending appointments:

***PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS APPOINTMENT.***

No wonder the NHS costs so much to administer.

I meant to respond to this earlier, but a month's wait??

That's laughable! There are people that wait ages for appts and surgery!

There could be LOTS of reasons as to why you've been delayed; doc illness/ annual leave and no cover are quite common.

Tourists who get ill whilst they are here get treatment or should we let them die in the streets? charge them for use then,there is no point blaming anything on them if the rule is we don't charge them,i suspect it would cost more to set up the system to charge them than it's worth
Deliberate health tourists can't be quantified then,somewhere between £110m and £280m is a wild guess at most
It's our age and health that is the problem,we have to take responsibly to stay as well if you can and cut down on chronic diseases as they cost a fortune
How we sort out the system is not for me to get into because i just don't know,the figures are beyond me to be honest,i only care about patient care,anyone who has been in the caring profession who look down on sick people should never be allowed to work in it again

Which is why I split the figures up from Normal use to deliberate usage.We treat the tourists for normal use at around the 1.2 billion mark.
It is the deliberate fookers costing us all upwards of 200 million plus that should get nil by mouth.That's a heck of a lot of hip replacements cataracts and knee jerky joints to mend for our own compatriots.

363 days ago I went in to have my prostate gland removed. It was cancer, but caught early enough to give me another chance. The NHS are still angels in my opinion.

So glad you're able to tell your story! Well done, Blue!

You're a perfect example how delays in the system happen for ordinary cases.

7 or 8 people of ordinary cases get bounced for urgent care for people like yourself and the hospital has to find space further down the line. There are no guarantees to get to an end process and yet the amount of kick offs and the hospital being threatened with court is amazing!!

In contrast to that, there are people that drop out and the Wait List has to scramble to back-fill those spots or the hospital get fined!!

It's an absolutely ridiculous system and the pressure is immense!

363 days ago I went in to have my prostate gland removed. It was cancer, but caught early enough to give me another chance. The NHS are still angels in my opinion.

I hope you've paid into the system mate and not a sponging ****?

Oh and made up for you that it was caught early, Youre right they are angels.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.