NHS pay deal

smevchenko

Team supported
Manchester City
So Pat Cullen, general secretary/chief exec of The RCN started out telling her union members and the government that NHS staff needed 19% to recover lost earnings over the last decade or so. This was always improbable, but NHS staff joined picket lines, sacrificed pay and were greeted by Pat Cullen who told them all to stay strong and fight for what they deserve. She then suggests that the government should meet her half way, and then ends up at 5%. This is less than their Scottish counterparts have been offered, who already have better pay and don't have to pay back tuition costs.

The offer that the RCN have recommended to their members is nothing short of a capitulation. The one off bonus payment is nice, but ultimately will lead to a further loss in wages as pay rises don't take this into account and deductions are taken off.

Most of the news outlets suggest this will be an end to the strikes, but there seems to be a strong opinion that the offer is a joke and could well be voted down by the members.

Getting 19% to cover lost earnings was never on the cards. The only way to recover those losses was around 5-7% now and above inflation rises for the next few years until parity had been restored. That wouldn't really help those approaching retirement but should help younger NHS employees.
However the government would never agree to this so it's strike or capitulate.

I'm not in a union anymore so won't get a vote. Paid in for 10 years, needed them twice and both times they were an absolute waste of time.

The reaction to the deal on social media from staff seems to be pretty unanimous for rejecting the deal!

My prediction is that when people think about the lump sum that will land in their pay packet, it will probably get voted through by a narrow margin.

I know at this moment in time, I personally couldn't risk rejecting the best part of £2k in a lump sum and ending up with nothing.

I'm not in a union anymore so won't get a vote. Paid in for 10 years, needed them twice and both times they were an absolute waste of time.

The reaction to the deal on social media from staff seems to be pretty unanimous for rejecting the deal!

My prediction is that when people think about the lump sum that will land in their pay packet, it will probably get voted through by a narrow margin.

I know at this moment in time, I personally couldn't risk rejecting the best part of £2k in a lump sum and ending up with nothing.

My wife is a nurse, and we were having this chat last night. And spot on, the lump sum might be the difference between us getting a holiday with the kids this year, or not going anywhere. Mortgage is about to go up £250 a month, so whilst in an ideal world, it would be rejected, and perhaps more pressure applied on the government, I think when it comes to actually voting, many might just opt for 'yes' , especially as it seems the union isn't up for the fight any more.

Where would you suggest the extra money comes from? Borrow it, or tax increases?

Falling fuel prices means that they will be providing I think its 6bn less in support for households - also helped by the better weather. Hope you don't need any hospital treatment soon - you'll probably get e-mailed some DIY instructions as to how to deal with your problem

Falling fuel prices means that they will be providing I think its 6bn less in support for households - also helped by the better weather. Hope you don't need any hospital treatment soon - you'll probably get e-mailed some DIY instructions as to how to deal with your problem
But people are complaining that we aren't doing enough to support households. So you're proposing we don't give more support for households then?

BTW, you're pretty close to the truth on the emailed instructions bit - it's a shocking state of affairs, I agree! Not sure it would be much better by just paying the staff more though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.