Niall Quinn

BufordUSABlue

Manchester>Georgia,USA (via Rochdale & Midlands)
I cant remember ever being there for such and I was wondering what sort of reception Niall gets when he comes back with The Black Cats?

Personally, I loved the guy when he played for us, vastly underated player IMHO.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Manchester City signed Quinn for £900,000 in March 1990. He scored 22 times in his first full season, and he went on to spend six years at the club, scoring 78 goals in 245 appearances; his time at City was hampered by a cruciate ligament injury in 1993–94.

His most notable game for City was 20 April 1991 when he scored early on and then saved a Dean Saunders penalty as City beat Derby County 2–1, relegating Derby in the process. City goalkeeper Tony Coton had been sent off before half time for fouling Saunders to concede the penalty. At this time teams rarely, if ever, named goalkeepers as substitutes, so Quinn replaced Coton in goal.

I remember the game against Derby, as his first touch was actually saving the pen from Dean Saunders (once a blue, always a blue!)....real 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff!!

Plus, a real gent to boot!

Whats say you fellow Blues?

gone way down in my estimation, he has been slating the sunderland fans who have been watching matches in the pubs of sunderland on illegal satellite channels as opposed to going to the stadium of light.

it's very easy for a multi millionaire ex player to take the moral high ground, but he has not been priced out of following the club he supports while on shit wages.

taking it further it won't be long before you see the death of the away fan in this country, mounting petrol prices and the cost of tickets will certainly be curtailing my ongoing away support, put quite simply i cannot afford it for much longer.

fathellensbellend said:
gone way down in my estimation, he has been slating the sunderland fans who have been watching matches in the pubs of sunderland on illegal satellite channels as opposed to going to the stadium of light.

it's very easy for a multi millionaire ex player to take the moral high ground, but he has not been priced out of following the club he supports while on shit wages.

taking it further it won't be long before you see the death of the away fan in this country, mounting petrol prices and the cost of tickets will certainly be curtailing my ongoing away support, put quite simply i cannot afford it for much longer.

So you won't give him a good reception on Sunday for the 6 years he spent at City for that? He has agreed to be interviewed at City Square pre-match alongside Uwe Rosler and Shay Given. Good lad.

Quinn is a decent bloke I have said that Dzeko is our modern day Quinn in the past but not as prolific at the time being.

Quinn as chairman of Sunderland is refreshing. I dont mind him having a moan or a dig at fans for deciding to watch the game in the pub rather than at the stadium. What you will more than likely see is that Sunderland will drop there ticket prices next season same with many more clubs who arent filling out there stadium and bring in better deals for the family tickets so it is worth going to games. Maybe even see clubs letting kids in for £1 with there family.

fathellensbellend said:

Sunderland have one of the cheaper ticket price structures in the Prem. And why isn't he entitled to moan about people choosing to watch in the pub? I bet it doesn't stop those fans moaning about the team if they lose even though they don't make any contribution to the club's coffers.

Yep...................that Derby game was the last I saw at Maine Road.
Left the U.K. in 92, and have had to watch the beloved Blues from afar ever since.
Please God, F.A Cup and 3rd this seasons...................we have waited so long !!!!!

fathellensbellend said:

He didn't say that in the way you think mate. He explained it on Goals on Sunday the other week. He was having a go at the people who can afford to go, with plenty of disposable income, who still choose to watch the matches in a pub.

The people who can't afford to go and are forced to watch in a pub/online, he didn't have a problem with.

I thought he was great while he was at City, especially early on, and I was there for the famous penalty save.

I was impressed by his decision to donate his testimonial cash to charity so I gave a few bob.

don't get me wrong i like quinny, but football, and football people have lost touch with reallity.

when fans are spending 1/2 a weeks wages to go to a match, especially away, then to my mind the worlds gone mad.

if the football fans of the uk joined up, and boycotted for just one week, all the prices would fall in line, it worked in germany and would here.<br /><br />-- Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:19 pm --<br /><br />
Peter Grant said:
fathellensbellend said:

So you won't give him a good reception on Sunday for the 6 years he spent at City for that? He has agreed to be interviewed at City Square pre-match alongside Uwe Rosler and Shay Given. Good lad.

yes, he was a great servant to city

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.