Niall Quinn

BufordUSABlue said:
I cant remember ever being there for such and I was wondering what sort of reception Niall gets when he comes back with The Black Cats?

Personally, I loved the guy when he played for us, vastly underated player IMHO.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Manchester City signed Quinn for £900,000 in March 1990. He scored 22 times in his first full season, and he went on to spend six years at the club, scoring 78 goals in 245 appearances; his time at City was hampered by a cruciate ligament injury in 1993–94.

His most notable game for City was 20 April 1991 when he scored early on and then saved a Dean Saunders penalty as City beat Derby County 2–1, relegating Derby in the process. City goalkeeper Tony Coton had been sent off before half time for fouling Saunders to concede the penalty. At this time teams rarely, if ever, named goalkeepers as substitutes, so Quinn replaced Coton in goal.

I remember the game against Derby, as his first touch was actually saving the pen from Dean Saunders (once a blue, always a blue!)....real 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff!!

Plus, a real gent to boot!

Whats say you fellow Blues?
he doesn't get any 'reception' at all,do you think the opposition chairman make a beeline for the centre circle before every game after being 'announced'?

I must be losing it in my old age but I always thought he did score against Chelsea. He was outstanding for us that night and changed my mind about him as I didnt fancy him coming to city.

Mike N said:
I must be losing it in my old age but I always thought he did score against Chelsea. He was outstanding for us that night and changed my mind about him as I didnt fancy him coming to city.
he did,scored equaliser in a 1-1 draw

Niall was superb for us both on and off the pitch.Great all-round skill and a superb ambassador for the club.
My eldest daughter was a regular junior blue and teamed up with Niall for a "laughing policeman" routine at a xmas party,still have the pics,and at every subsequent meeting he made a point of coming over to have a chat.
Articulate and intelligent,everything you would want you sporting heroes to be.
Would be great to see him back in some capacity someday.

100% true this story. About a week after we had been relegated to the third level at Stoke my brothers stag doo started at Thirsk Racecourse and Quinn had a horse running. Bare in mind by this point he'd been a Sunderland player for a year as we sold him when we dropped out of the prem.

He spotted my other brother (in Kappa City shirt) and me, minutes before his horse was due to run, and went out of his way to wonder over, shake our hands and tell us how sad he was to see City's current plight and how he was wishing us all the luck in the world for the future.

The bloke was a class act on the pitch and an even classier one off it.

clowns pockets said:
BufordUSABlue said:
I cant remember ever being there for such and I was wondering what sort of reception Niall gets when he comes back with The Black Cats?

Personally, I loved the guy when he played for us, vastly underated player IMHO.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Manchester City signed Quinn for £900,000 in March 1990. He scored 22 times in his first full season, and he went on to spend six years at the club, scoring 78 goals in 245 appearances; his time at City was hampered by a cruciate ligament injury in 1993–94.

His most notable game for City was 20 April 1991 when he scored early on and then saved a Dean Saunders penalty as City beat Derby County 2–1, relegating Derby in the process. City goalkeeper Tony Coton had been sent off before half time for fouling Saunders to concede the penalty. At this time teams rarely, if ever, named goalkeepers as substitutes, so Quinn replaced Coton in goal.

I remember the game against Derby, as his first touch was actually saving the pen from Dean Saunders (once a blue, always a blue!)....real 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff!!

he doesn't get any 'reception' at all,do you think the opposition chairman make a beeline for the centre circle before every game after being 'announced'?

Legend and there is ALWAYS a rendition of 'Niall Quinns Disco Pants are the best', sung home and away whenever we play. Maybe not as loud as it use to be, but still sung. At times, sunderland fans start singing this at the stadium og light, we join in and drown them out. Probabley sung more on the journeys to away grounds by 100s of blues in trains, planes and automobiles.
An absolute gentleman and one of the many reasons 1000s of city fans went to his testimonial.

bainy said:
clowns pockets said:
BufordUSABlue said:

Taken from Wikipedia:

Legend and there is ALWAYS a rendition of 'Niall Quinns Disco Pants are the best', sung home and away whenever we play. Maybe not as loud as it use to be, but still sung. At times, sunderland fans start singing this at the stadium og light, we join in and drown them out. Probabley sung more on the journeys to away grounds by 100s of blues in trains, planes and automobiles.
An absolute gentleman and one of the many reasons 1000s of city fans went to his testimonial.
hear you Bainey lad :)

I reckon it will be a very long time before we see the likes of big Niall again! Tevez could learn some manners and respect from him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.