Niall Quinn

City Raider said:
think he donated all his testimonial money to some charity too - rare breed

Certainly did!

I and three others went to that testimonial wearing our City colours. We were on the Gtr Manchester Sunderland Supporters Club bus. We had a brilliant time with them, but were also royally received in Sunderland itself (particularly the pub just town side of the Weir Bridge). Since then we have gone on their bus to our games at SoL and we even went with them on their pre-season tour of Dublin & Cork about three seasons ago. My favourite memory of that is being on the coach driving up the hill out of Kinsail after a particularly boozy, balmy night and after a chorus of, "Niall Quinns Disco Pants" they asked me to sing " Blue Moon". I started it and two more City fans and thirty odd Sunderland fans joined in and gave it the full treatment!! Absolute salt of the earth and I hope we beat them 3-0 tomorrow.

Niall came to one of their meetings about 18 months ago held at Edgeley Park and there was a good contingent of City fans there. The respect is totally mutual. My lad had a City shirt of his era with 'Quinn' on the back which he signed and then talked about how he saw great similarities between City and Sunderland. He also spoke highly of missing the Circus pub in town!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.maineroadfc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.maineroadfc.com</a>

In his book, Quinny tells a great tale about shoving midfield hard nut McMahon through a plate glass window on a City tour of Ireland. He also has nothing good to say about r. keane.

Top man and could be the best pundit on telly with his knowledge and intelligence.

Sorry to bring back an old post.
Was talkin to a lad this evening, he told me Niall Quinn was the most over rated footballer he ever seen! I told him he hadn't a clue, that if anything Quinn was a very underrated player. He reckoned all he was good for was the 'odd lucky header'. Quinny is my idol and the reson I follow city.I know he was no Pele but he wasn't a half bad footballer!
Blues do you agree??

BufordUSABlue said:
I cant remember ever being there for such and I was wondering what sort of reception Niall gets when he comes back with The Black Cats?

Personally, I loved the guy when he played for us, vastly underated player IMHO.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Manchester City signed Quinn for £900,000 in March 1990. He scored 22 times in his first full season, and he went on to spend six years at the club, scoring 78 goals in 245 appearances; his time at City was hampered by a cruciate ligament injury in 1993–94.

His most notable game for City was 20 April 1991 when he scored early on and then saved a Dean Saunders penalty as City beat Derby County 2–1, relegating Derby in the process. City goalkeeper Tony Coton had been sent off before half time for fouling Saunders to concede the penalty. At this time teams rarely, if ever, named goalkeepers as substitutes, so Quinn replaced Coton in goal.

I remember the game against Derby, as his first touch was actually saving the pen from Dean Saunders (once a blue, always a blue!)....real 'Roy of the Rovers' stuff!!

Plus, a real gent to boot!

Whats say you fellow Blues?

He'd be a perfect number 9 for us now! Very underated as he played in a pretty average City team.
Best first touch I've ever seen in a centre forward (still), great awareness, brilliant header of a ball, strong and a team player.

Allied to that, he was one of the good guys and in football and that seems to be becoming more a rarity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.