Nicolás Otamendi - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tricky one. I love him (and Vinny) but can see perfectly well why Stones and Laporte are being groomed for the future.

This is where I’m really glad I’m not the manager.

Outside of his rusty passing I thought he was in serious contention for MotM. Put a right foot in almost every single time. Bailed walker out when sessegnon got past him. He ran down that counter attack and put a perfect slide tackle near the box. He won his duals and pocketed Mitrovic. Good decision to rotate stones and play nico here.

Not bad for a first game of the season , he snapped into tackles and was solid all afternoon , we have four superb centre backs and the maths say he wont play as many games this season and the fact he and Vinny are the wrong side of thirty means they will get the rest/recovery they will need to be 100% fit. But if i was asked who i would start in the biggest game of the season , like a title decider or Champs league final it would be Vinny and Otto.

I thought Otamendi showed his class once again. Not an easy thing to do after a long time out. If we are considering who starts based on performance, this guy has to be in within the top two for me.

The Ottermobile keeps rolling on. He will run over you if you're not careful!

Four competitions, upwards of 60 games in the season.

Not saying we should never rotate. In the interests of the long term, we should plat Stones / Laporte as the first choice and use the others to rotate in. My post above was before the Int break where stones played in both games so its fine to rest him but i would have him back for the CL on Wednesday.

because we need all four up to speed would be my guess
Correct, and we may use 3 centre backs in a number of games, so we need them all at the top of their game, we have superb options in defence for me, and can even use some in midfield positions.

I thought his performance was excellent, and straight back at the high level he produced for much of last season, and I was far from his biggest fan 18 months ago, but he's won me over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.