No cheating - name these Maine Road legends

Legend for 99% those players is pushing it.
White possibly on sheer number of appearances and goals.
Brightwell, at a very long stretch.
The rest (Lake included), nope. Too few appearances and between them won the square root of fuck all.
Players like Steve Redmond, again ,for me is a legend. Signed professional forms as a centre forward,but turned out for our 1st team at centre back, captain for a long time too... and did his very best ,every single match, home grown, cool head, looked so accomplished,took the piss out of centre forwards time and again for City,home and away, Inc the great night at Stamford bridge 1988,,when with away fans banned, we smashed Chelsea 3-1 on their own pitch, with a team of mostly home grown youth team players.

Redmond was immaculate that night, I was in their West stand to see it.
Marking England forward Kerry Dixon, Redmond had him in his back pocket...outran Dixon on a long ball, deftly switched feet and started a brilliant short sharp passing movement with Hinchliffe Lake then Moulden, which swept the ball to the other end of the pitch and we scored. Counter attacking at its finest. You had to be there to appreciate it.

And when Howard Kendall turned up ,and decided.. eventually,that Redmond was not his style of centre back.....subbed him off the pitch one game, can't remember the oppennent, the shock when the No.6 card went up ...what did Redmond do? No histrionics ,or playing to the crowd, just jogged off the pitch, obviously gutted ,but kept his thoughts to himself, no running to the press. Etc....

The hall mark of a true professional footballer. Yes he didn't win top honours,but he played his part in getting us up, a quality player in his time,and never to be forgotten.

Trevor's goal at Bradford gave us last gasp promotion. One of highlights of my childhood that was... Wembley 99 gets hype cos of being one tier lower, but getting up in 89 meant the world. (We wouldn't have had the 5-1 without it for one thing!!!)
Or do legends have to only win premier leagues or come from abroad??!! (that's not aimed at you btw - just at modern fans)

There used to be the cult heroes phrase. If it's your era as a young fan, you carry the players with you as you age and keep them as legends in your mind.
Great post. When I think of City it is that Mel Machin team that comes to mind first. I was not at Bradford for Morley's goal but remember vividly listening to it being scored. I loved Aguero's goal but Trev's meant more to me.

Players like Steve Redmond, again ,for me is a legend. Signed professional forms as a centre forward,but turned out for our 1st team at centre back, captain for a long time too... and did his very best ,every single match, home grown, cool head, looked so accomplished,took the piss out of centre forwards time and again for City,home and away, Inc the great night at Stamford bridge 1988,,when with away fans banned, we smashed Chelsea 3-1 on their own pitch, with a team of mostly home grown youth team players.

Redmond was immaculate that night, I was in their West stand to see it.
Marking England forward Kerry Dixon, Redmond had him in his back pocket...outran Dixon on a long ball, deftly switched feet and started a brilliant short sharp passing movement with Hinchliffe Lake then Moulden, which swept the ball to the other end of the pitch and we scored. Counter attacking at its finest. You had to be there to appreciate it.

And when Howard Kendall turned up ,and decided.. eventually,that Redmond was not his style of centre back.....subbed him off the pitch one game, can't remember the oppennent, the shock when the No.6 card went up ...what did Redmond do? No histrionics ,or playing to the crowd, just jogged off the pitch, obviously gutted ,but kept his thoughts to himself, no running to the press. Etc....

The hall mark of a true professional footballer. Yes he didn't win top honours,but he played his part in getting us up, a quality player in his time,and never to be forgotten.
Reddo was an absolutely top pro. Captained us to success - the acceptable face of Scouseism.

Great post. When I think of City it is that Mel Machin team that comes to mind first. I was not at Bradford for Morley's goal but remember vividly listening to it being scored. I loved Aguero's goal but Trev's meant more to me.
I was at Bradford and still have goose pimples when I watch the footage back. So many youth team graduates turned up and got that point for us .Lake Hinchcliffe Redmond and Brightwell and White spring to mind. And Moulden. Machin was my first true City manager ,ie the manager when I properly started watching home and away, and those memories ...you cannot take away , you really can't. .

Trevor's goal at Bradford gave us last gasp promotion. One of highlights of my childhood that was... Wembley 99 gets hype cos of being one tier lower, but getting up in 89 meant the world. (We wouldn't have had the 5-1 without it for one thing!!!)
Or do legends have to only win premier leagues or come from abroad??!! (that's not aimed at you btw - just at modern fans)

There used to be the cult heroes phrase. If it's your era as a young fan, you carry the players with you as you age and keep them as legends in your mind.
Exactly, bar Jackson those playes are the players of my mid teen to young adults years, where city gave me cherrished memories of moving from standing with me dad in windy corner to being in the thick of the kippax with mates I met and still go to the match with over 30 yrs later.

And of those player, when I thought about the swamp the only thing in my head was "pulled across to brightwell" for many a year,

The purple pinstripe kit imediately says Ooh Vonky Vonky.

White too numerous things the 10-1, 4 at villa, his over the line bouncer against liverpool first home fame of 92 and many more

TC best goalkeeper England never had

Lakey needs nowt said a generational talent cruely cut short

Redmond gave his all and was a captain to be proud off

Morley took us up and has a magnificent tache :-)

And their are plenty more of that late 80s/early 90s era, Simpson, Quinn, Hill, Dissa, Curle, Hendry, even Inchy are all as special in my memory as those here now.

Not Wayne Clarke though, he was wank ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.