no more red and black scarves

LongsightM13 said:
BlueMoonraker said:
I think you're being a bit elitist here. Are you saying that only those fortunate enough to wear the scarf at the Leicester game should own one? City sell the black and red shirt don't they? What's the difference?
Didn't mean it to sound that way but it was first and foremost a charity fund-raising exercise, not some sort of lame teenage fashion statement. Anyone can quite easily pay into Nelly's fund. So why would you need a scarf to tell everyone you did so? Surely the giving is the thing, not the 'reflected glory' of an 'I was there' scarf?

So if you won't be using yours again and don't want it for the "I was there" glory then you could offer it on here to someone who would still like one and let them make a donation for it and raise more money for Nelly.

I'm glad I've got mine, paid my donation and am very happy to keep it as a memento of the day. I may wear it again, especially if we have a cup run, but not to seek attention.

MCFC BOB said:
LongsightM13 said:
I would consider anyone wearing a red and black scarf on Saturday, for example, to be a bit sad and an attention seeker
Why? I donated £10 for my scarf, so I'd like to wear it instead of pinning it to my wall.

Agreed and I don't need someone telling me I can't wear due to them having an inferiority complex about it. People can wear what they want and my derby one from the Munich game has mustard on it.

It was a great idea with a brilliant sentiment behind it. It'd be a shame to turn it into a fad. Those who went and got the scarves should wear them proudly whilst the rest of us can carry on wearing our usual scarves quite happily.

All the tributes to Neil Young have been brilliant so far but will lose their impact if we insist on wringing the sentiment from the gesture.

My point is, why not just donate to the Neil Young fund anyway? Why would you demand something in return for supporting a cancer charity and one of our all time greats? Surely a direct donation would be of more benefit than taking into account manufacturing costs?
Vanity should not motivate charity.
I'll keep the scarf in case we get to Wembley, but I did chuck £50 into the pot. If any of you are willing to match that into Nelly's fund, then maybe its yours

LongsightM13 said:
My point is, why not just donate to the Neil Young fund anyway? Why would you demand something in return for supporting a cancer charity and one of our all time greats? Surely a direct donation would be of more benefit than taking into account manufacturing costs?
I'll keep the scarf in case we get to Wembley, but I did chuck £50 into the pot. If any of you are willing to match that into Nelly's fund, then maybe its yours

That's a fair shout. Thought I'd put a decent wad in but can't claim that amount.

LongsightM13 said:

The thing is though mate, it's like any charity or fundraising. Ask people to stick say £10 in a bucket for a good cause and you'll get a number being willing. Offer them something desirable and ask them to put £10 in and you'll get more takers. Just like any of these charity auctions for signed shirts, signed footballs, anything. It's a fact that people will be more generous if there is a prize at the end of it. Doesn't make them bad people, just more likely to offer more if there is something to walk away with. If City have a bucket collection they would make some more money for Neil and the charity. If they produced a load more scarves I bet they would make even more and after taking into account the production costs.

TheMightyQuinn said:
I donated £50.01p.
Ha!!! Trust you Quinny.
The reason I feel so strongly about this is because my uncle who used to live in Moss Side, on Princess Road opposite the old bus depot and swimming baths, was the man who took me and my brother to City for the first time as nippers. His all time favourite player was Neil Young. He died of cancer last year. That's why me and my brother chucked a ton into the pot, in his memory.
And thats why I would hate to see a great cause bastardised into some sort of trivialised fashion statement or blue on blue one-upmanship.
Support the appeal and sleep well knowing you've done a good thing. You don't need a scarf to validate yourself.
RIP Uncle Tony

LongsightM13 said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
I donated £50.01p.
Ha!!! Trust you Quinny.
The reason I feel so strongly about this is because my uncle who used to live in Moss Side, on Princess Road opposite the old bus depot and swimming baths, was the man who took me and my brother to City for the first time as nippers. His all time favourite player was Neil Young. He died of cancer last year. That's why me and my brother chucked a ton into the pot, in his memory.
And thats why I would hate to see a great cause bastardised into some sort of trivialised fashion statement or blue on blue one-upmanship.
Support the appeal and sleep well knowing you've done a good thing. You don't need a scarf to validate yourself.
RIP Uncle Tony

Agreed mate. Nice donation too, good on you :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.