No-one passing to Haaland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are over complicating what is a simple case of a new played needing to gel with his team mates. It's a big change from our usual strategy of pass and move football which is possession focussed. And for Haaland it's a big change having to do more off the ball to help the team succeed. Both things need to improve. We need to take risks and play the ball in behind more. It's not really a risk, because he's rapid so unless the ball is absolutely shite, he'll get there. Just slot it in behind on occasion and see what happens.

Haaland also has to work harder off the ball and mix his movement up. And in return, the other players need to look to move into that space in behind. Foden has probably been the best at it this season, but isn't in the picture at the moment. Mahrez has been good at doing it at times. If we could get Grealish more central with someone else out wide, I'm sure we'd be more effective because Grealish loves playing with movement ahead of him. It would get more out of him too, because he always wants the ball to feet.

I was at the game and had a very good view behind the goal.

It was noticeable how determined and strong when Spurs players (like Kane Kulu Højbjerg) fought in the box when the chances came. Always someone ran to the front, middle and back.

But on us neither Halaand or Alvarez showed that strength and determination. They rushed to hide at the far post whenever the teammates on the wide area prepared to cross.

No one was willing to make a scarification to occupy the front defenders to cause chaos in the box. No one occupy Eric Dier and let him have a comfortable day.

In the last minutes the best chance came from Rodri fighting for that header. Where was Halaand? He was behind Rodri. Very disappointing.

If you play on the pitch you know it is easy to make some runs. It looks good on television. But football is not racing. The real hard part is winning duels shoulder to shoulder. Stop running away from defenders.

Our forwards just did not dare to come close to that twat Cristian Romero and all rushed to the other side. They feared. They were not aggressive enough.

Say anything about Gundo and Grealish. Gundo has back problems. Grealish has a biscuit shin. But Gundo dared to fight for the header and Grealish put his leg out to win the 50 50. So we got the first goal against Spurs 2 weeks ago.

That is the old good story. Halaand and Alvarez need to adapt to PL and learn how to fight shoulder to shoulder with the strongest defenders. There are not so much space to run into, sons. Get your clothes dirty. Show some courage.
It does not have to be one way or the other, let's get some easy goals on through balls to Haaland as well. Demanding Haaland to get all his goals from fights in static positions is not playing at his strengths.
I agree he should also pick a fight and go to war, and I've seen him do that before. So maybe he was a bit dishearted from earlier disappointments in the game. I wasn't at the game to assess like you. I'm sure he and the rest of the team will fight fiercely against Arsenal in both games. I also believe we'll win both as a direct result from it. We'll wait and see.

We need to take risks and play the ball in behind more. It's not really a risk, because he's rapid so unless the ball is absolutely shite, he'll get there. Just slot it in behind on occasion and see what happens.

Not really

when Haaland chased a long ball
52-halaand-r.gif

Not much success with the other striker as well when Walker played it long
20-walker-long-ball.gif

Both of them have very little experience of how to control and protect a long ball under pressure. It is common among strikers coming from other leagues to PL. Some learn and adapt. Some cannot and leave.

Like it or not, the only solution Pep has on his hand now is use Mahrez + Grealish combo as they are perfect outlets receiving on the touchline. But it also means that the build up will be much slower because the procession in the final 3rd starts from the touchline, far away from the goal.

Last edited:
Not really

when Haaland chased a long ball
View attachment 68574

Not much success with the other striker as well when Walker played it long
View attachment 68572

Both of them have very little experience of how to control and protect a long ball under pressure. That is our real problem.

The only solution now is use Mahrez + Grealish combo as they are perfect outlet receiving on the touchline. But it also means that the build up will be much slower because the procession in the final 3rd starts from the touchline, far away from the goal.

It's strange because I've been pleasantly surprised by his touch when bringing it out the air personally. Even a couple of times against Spurs we looked for it and he brought it down and held it up well.

Why not put Haaland in goal (Ederson never makes a save anyway) he can do all the 'passing out from the back' sh*t and go up when we have a corner and take penalties. Probably would have about 10x as many touches per game as he is getting now too!
hehe:)

Today's game shows that our problems had little to do with (no) passes to Haaland, and a lot to do with problems in the build up, energy and the team spirit.

Haaland's a proper team player. He can help the team in a variety of ways, not only with goals.

Today's game shows that our problems had little to do with (no) passes to Haaland, and a lot to do with problems in the build up, energy and the team spirit.

Haaland's a proper team player. He can help the team in a variety of ways, not only with goals.
Are we still 3-0 up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.