Non league football.

Ashton United.

Not ideal as they are a United and play in red but reasonably local and very enjoyable, not least having a pint watching the game.

Was at Witton today watched the City v West ham game in their bar then watched a great game Witton 2 Atherton Cols 1

Chorlton and west didsbury had always been enjoyable having a pint pitch side whilst giving the officials a bit of earache with the 'ultras'...

The closest league grounds to me have for years been Palace and AFC Wimbledon (roughly equi-distant), but that might change this afternoon as Sutton United will be promoted to the Football League for the first time in their history if they beat Hartlepool at Gander Green Lane. I could probably reach the ground from my front door with a driver and a couple of well struck 5 woods. That they are top of the National League is quite unexpected as they’ve never really even come close before, yo-yoing instead between the NL and the NL South.
If they do go up, Lord knows how they will survive. The capacity is tiny, with a shoebox of a main stand and only 4 or 5 steps of terracing around the rest of the ground, and more of an issue still is that the 3G pitch, which keeps the club afloat by being available for community use (I’ve played old codgers football on it many times), will have to be ripped up and turfed.
Whatever, good luck to the sartorially inelegant yellow and browns!

Last edited:
Done several games allready this season.

Bootle
Avro
Trafford
Chadderton
Mossley

Really got into the non league scene and going to do lots of new grounds this season.
Seel Park (Mossley) is where I first went watching football many moons ago.
They used to have a City supporters club branch there. (Possibly still have).
The pitch is full of undulations, most noticeably on the main stand side of the ground.
There used to be a Mossley player called Lennie Dickinson who modelled himself on Franny Lee. He wasn't very tall and when he ran into that area of the pitch it looked like he had no legs!
There were pitch scuffles at half time as we changed ends.
Happy days!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.