Non league football.

Might have a mooch down to West Didsbury & Chorlton v Avro in the FA Cup tomorrow, cup fever, the road to Wembley starts here
Just googled Avro as knew the name but not much about them or where they are from. Turns out they played at the Lancaster Club at the bottom of Broadway (Failsworth, not Manhattan before anyone asks) and now play at Limeside in the ground Oldham Town played at and the Roughyheads too.

Just googled Avro as knew the name but not much about them or where they are from. Turns out they played at the Lancaster Club at the bottom of Broadway (Failsworth, not Manhattan before anyone asks) and now play at Limeside in the ground Oldham Town played at and the Roughyheads too.
They were a huge name in Manchester amateur football back in the day, now got a few quid behind them and moved into the non-league pyramid

Seel Park (Mossley) is where I first went watching football many moons ago.
They used to have a City supporters club branch there. (Possibly still have).
The pitch is full of undulations, most noticeably on the main stand side of the ground.
There used to be a Mossley player called Lennie Dickinson who modelled himself on Franny Lee. He wasn't very tall and when he ran into that area of the pitch it looked like he had no legs!
There were pitch scuffles at half time as we changed ends.
Happy days!
Used to hop the school fence behind the goal to the left of the Main Stand, as my house backed up to the school.

Used to hop the fence on non-match days, too, to have a kick about in the goal!

Good days!

Only ever played there once with permission…vs Xaverian in the Cup. I think we lost as Xaverian were the top school team around back in the late 70’s-early 80’s.

Spent many a cold midweek night under the shed behind the “right hand” goal.

Always have a soft spot for Mossley FC. They even let me do pre-season training with them one year. My two lasting memories were:

1) running over to Micklehurst before training to use the Hollins pitches and having to run back up Old Brow to get back to the ground after training, and

2) everyone soaking their feet in a community alcohol rub bath before training, as if that was going to toughen up our feet and reduce blisters. Don’t remember it helping much!

What Mossley needed more than anything was a match ball sponsor or six, as if the ball went over two sides of the ground, it was probably not coming back! One side (opposite Main Stand) was thickets, the other was a park where lads would hang out hoping to snag one!

Ah, the memories, eh @Pablo123!

Went halifax today and had a good day and a laugh. Alty got beat 2-0 and the shaymen took the piss by charging £21 to get in. Even a steward I spoke too outside was embarrassed at the price and inside they were lucky they didn't end up with a full blown riot with their over zealous behaviour. Good job the Robins lot aren't our lot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.