North Stand Construction Discussion

Being back in South Manchester was no good to me…. I lived in Chadderton. No way to avoid the traffic. Wilmslow Road, was a nightmare, no matter which route I drove home
Upper Lloyd Street then Mancunian way. Back in 30.

Well, it's not really a case of something has to give, that is why we create plans. You can have an option A, B or C.

It's not really a like it or lump it scenario.

There are many fans that attend games that wouldn't go anywhere near the fanzone, they turn up as the players are running out onto the pitch and are away again at the final whistle, and have no interest in taking selfies and half and half scarves or hanging around 3 hours before kick off, but yes an upgrade is required as the current one is a bit tired and flakey. And it is somewhere to create extra revenue from daytrippers/tourists, but it doesn't have to be an 8 storey hotel with all the bells and whistles.

Also, is a hotel really essential? It's not really that close to town. And it is dead on a non match day. Are people going to come out of their hotel rooms for a lazy stroll around an empty car park or sample the delights of Miles Platting? If you were staying over in Mcr for a game or a concert, then you'd be better off staying in town where all the bars, restaurants and shops are, and getting a tram to the game etc. I can't see people coming out of a gig and just going straight to bed, they're gonna want to go into town. Looks like a white elephant for me. I can understand why they build them near concert venues, but on Liverpool waterfront you can walk across the road and you are immediately at all the bars and restaurants, it's all right on your doorstep. I fear the place would be empty a lot of the time, and only occupied in and around home matches or gigs. I just can't see a hotel being a 365 day a year success, especially in that location.

There is a sizeable area where all the other things can be incorporated, without necessarily losing the view of the stadium. And then you have lots of options with the huge area under the new stand which will be vast. It seems a bit like they just want to build a hotel, first and foremost, then add all the other bits in, as a sort of nod to the fans, but essentially, it's just a big hotel shoved in front of the ground, like Ken Bates built at Chelsea in the 90's.
I'm sure the government will fill plenty of beds in that hotel. No problem there.

Well, it's not really a case of something has to give, that is why we create plans. You can have an option A, B or C.

It's not really a like it or lump it scenario.

There are many fans that attend games that wouldn't go anywhere near the fanzone, they turn up as the players are running out onto the pitch and are away again at the final whistle, and have no interest in taking selfies and half and half scarves or hanging around 3 hours before kick off, but yes an upgrade is required as the current one is a bit tired and flakey. And it is somewhere to create extra revenue from daytrippers/tourists, but it doesn't have to be an 8 storey hotel with all the bells and whistles.

Also, is a hotel really essential? It's not really that close to town. And it is dead on a non match day. Are people going to come out of their hotel rooms for a lazy stroll around an empty car park or sample the delights of Miles Platting? If you were staying over in Mcr for a game or a concert, then you'd be better off staying in town where all the bars, restaurants and shops are, and getting a tram to the game etc. I can't see people coming out of a gig and just going straight to bed, they're gonna want to go into town. Looks like a white elephant for me. I can understand why they build them near concert venues, but on Liverpool waterfront you can walk across the road and you are immediately at all the bars and restaurants, it's all right on your doorstep. I fear the place would be empty a lot of the time, and only occupied in and around home matches or gigs. I just can't see a hotel being a 365 day a year success, especially in that location.

There is a sizeable area where all the other things can be incorporated, without necessarily losing the view of the stadium. And then you have lots of options with the huge area under the new stand which will be vast. It seems a bit like they just want to build a hotel, first and foremost, then add all the other bits in, as a sort of nod to the fans, but essentially, it's just a big hotel shoved in front of the ground, like Ken Bates built at Chelsea in the 90's.
Well personally when it comes to weighing up the priories and importance of these things I’d give the external aesthetics about 1% weighting and all the other things that are being built 99%.

Hey, I agree that City square requires all of the things you mentioned, but it can all be incorporated into a single or 2 storey building, spread over a large area, without a huge hotel on top of it, which totally obscures the view of an iconic stadium.

There are 365 days in a year. How many home matches & gigs be taking place across the entirety of that year? Even if it was one match and one gig per week, which it isn't, that would be 104 nights. Is that enough to keep a massive hotel going?

In this image, it actually looks like the fanzone and shops/bars will be on the ground floor and the hotel is sitting on top of it. For me, it is the hotel which ruins it. The ground floor areas would be fine and would not be an eyesore.

Screenshot-2023-02-28-101844.png
One gig a week ? 3 to start then possibly 5/6 nights a week, it's a multi use venue, gigs, boxing, UFC etc etc going forward I would expect more than ONE hotel...

Hotels are not just places to sleep in though. They hold conferences for companies. Business meetings. Events. Maybe accommodation for travelling football agents, players and families who are considering moving to City. Places for international musicians, touring facilitators, lighting, sound and stage managers to meet at and stay over while checking out the co-op live music venue, a place to have a nice meal etc etc. I imagine the surroundings will be developed and it may be a nice place to go before strolling down the canal into town for example.

I understand all that, but imagine there is no match on, and no gigs taking place, and everything is locked up for the night. You've pretty much got McDonalds or Asda.

How does a hotel like that compete with the 50 or so hotels in Manchester City center, where you can step off the train and walk to your hotel. You can and have a meal in a restaurant, go to a bar with work colleagues? Or go clubbing or shopping.

Put it this way, if someone I knew wanted to book a hotel in Manchester for a weekend. I wouldn't send them out there, Iooking out over an empty car park, having to get a taxi to go out. And not everybody is a football fan.

I have stayed at Milton Keynes dons hotel and Bolton Wanderers with work, and they were like a ghost town after 6pm. If getting a taxi is your ultimate solution to this, then why not just book one of the plethora of hotels that are actually where you want to be in the first place?

Although, if a hotel was built that didn't block the view of the stadium, it wouldn't bother me. Let it sit there empty most of the time, but rammed for matches and gigs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.