North Stand Construction Discussion

One gig a week ? 3 to start then possibly 5/6 nights a week, it's a multi use venue, gigs, boxing, UFC etc etc going forward I would expect more than ONE hotel...
Really, a 23,000 arena 5/6 nights per week? All year round?

Just looking at the MEN/AO arena. There is nothing scheduled on there until the 9th March, in 7 days.

I think these sorts of places have acts that play 3 nights, then it is empty for a week, until the next event, but I'm sure that there are longer periods throughout the year to keep something of that size and scale going. There is fierce competition too, with the Liverpool Arena, Sheffield, Nottingham, London and the AO one down the road.

Just looking at the MEN/AO arena. There is nothing scheduled on there until the 9th March, in 7 days.

I think these sorts of places have acts that play 3 nights, then it is empty for a week, until the next event, but I'm sure that there are longer periods throughout the year to keep something of that size and scale going. There is fierce competition too, with the Liverpool Arena, Sheffield, Nottingham, London and the AO one down the road.
Oak View reckoned 150 days year, also said they would be contracting all staff directly hoping to retain them with the regular work. It seems a top end estimate, and will end up very cut throat if it isn't already.

As much as I welcome the arena in terms of extra revenue for the club etc, there is a possibility it could leave the city centre with a white elephant as well as affecting those businesses in and around Victoria Station that equally depend on x amount of concerts at the MEN Arena each year.

At Maine Rd loads used to arrive early and leave late because we had over a dozen great pubs within walking distance and the curry mile on our doorstep.
The quantity and quality of pubs we have now are shit in comparison which is why many can't wait to get away.
If we have great bars and restaurants In the vicinity more people will be inclined to stay longer myself included.
My dad used to like us to be back home from Maine Rd and listening to the last few minutes on the wireless supping a cup of tea. Missed so many goals over the years but it must be hereditary as I like to listen to the games dying embers in my car

If City didn't think the hotel would be viable they wouldn't build it.

Hotels are creeping closer and closer to the Etihad. There are now 2 hotels at the top end of GAS near the stadium. Both are doing well. Another hotel is planned in the same area.

Click on the link below for the full PDF report.

Screenshot-20230303-045559-2.png

If you parked just the other side of Princess Road. Quinney Crescent for example, you were away and back in South Manchester before those parked right near the ground had got into second gear. And it was only what, 10/12 minute walk?

Although Christ knows why I’m giving parking tips for a ground that was knocked down 20 years ago.
It's the thought that counts.

I understand all that, but imagine there is no match on, and no gigs taking place, and everything is locked up for the night. You've pretty much got McDonalds or Asda.

How does a hotel like that compete with the 50 or so hotels in Manchester City center, where you can step off the train and walk to your hotel. You can and have a meal in a restaurant, go to a bar with work colleagues? Or go clubbing or shopping.

Put it this way, if someone I knew wanted to book a hotel in Manchester for a weekend. I wouldn't send them out there, Iooking out over an empty car park, having to get a taxi to go out. And not everybody is a football fan.

I have stayed at Milton Keynes dons hotel and Bolton Wanderers with work, and they were like a ghost town after 6pm. If getting a taxi is your ultimate solution to this, then why not just book one of the plethora of hotels that are actually where you want to be in the first place?

Although, if a hotel was built that didn't block the view of the stadium, it wouldn't bother me. Let it sit there empty most of the time, but rammed for matches and gigs.
I'm sure the Sheikh won't be investing upwards of £100 million without looking into what other benefits he can tap into. There's going to be business spaces incorporated so they will all need somewhere to eat, drink, relax, work out, meet up etc. I presume the Sheiks advisors and the council will be looking at getting the wider area linked up with the City centre through transport, accommodation, bars, restaurants, fitness areas, children's and teenagers spaces ie skateboard area, outdoor workout machines, community 5-a-side pitches etc etc...whatever it takes really...I'm guessing as I don't really know the area that well but I don't see the place being left as a white elephant...quite the opposite.

As much as I welcome the arena in terms of extra revenue for the club etc, there is a possibility it could leave the city centre with a white elephant as well as affecting those businesses in and around Victoria Station that equally depend on x amount of concerts at the MEN Arena each year.
I’m sorry but this is complete nonsense.

In fact this is the kind of lies spread by the owners of the Arena last year.

If you parked just the other side of Princess Road. Quinney Crescent for example, you were away and back in South Manchester before those parked right near the ground had got into second gear. And it was only what, 10/12 minute walk?

Although Christ knows why I’m giving parking tips for a ground that was knocked down 20 years ago.
Santiago Street was the go-to parking option for my old fella

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.