North Stand Construction Discussion

Not sure about those plans? Instead of marvelling at the esthetics of the stadium, as you walk across the bridge, you're now looking at this big ugly building, that blocks the view of the stadium.

Isn't there plenty of room to create a fanzone on the site that doesn't look like parrs wood cinema has been dropped in front of the ground?

Screenshot-2023-02-28-101844.png

Correct, parking in the school opposite the Sherwood was a twat getting away. Getting to Wilmslow rd took 30 mins, then another 30 mins to town, then 30 further mins to Chadderton. Now, from Orange car park to home, 30 mins total.

If you parked just the other side of Princess Road. Quinney Crescent for example, you were away and back in South Manchester before those parked right near the ground had got into second gear. And it was only what, 10/12 minute walk?

Although Christ knows why I’m giving parking tips for a ground that was knocked down 20 years ago.

Not sure about those plans? Instead of marvelling at the esthetics of the stadium, as you walk across the bridge, you're now looking at this big ugly building, that blocks the view of the stadium.

Isn't there plenty of room to create a fanzone on the site that doesn't look like parrs wood cinema has been dropped in front of the ground?

Well said! I think it’s got potential to be the ugliest looking stadium in the league, apart from the one in Trafford.

If you parked just the other side of Princess Road. Quinney Crescent for example, you were away and back in South Manchester before those parked right near the ground had got into second gear. And it was only what, 10/12 minute walk?

Although Christ knows why I’m giving parking tips for a ground that was knocked down 20 years ago.
There was the fear of being shot there though as well ;)

I appreciate your concerns, and I can see where you‘re coming from, but.

The club and Populous have delivered what the fans wanted.

1. A North stand with a large 2nd tier creating a proper home end.
2. A stand large enough to house everything the fans wanted.
3. A new and upgraded City Square/plaza with a roof, additional food and drink outlets, and extra seating and tables.
4. A new and larger souvenir store.
5. A new football museum.
6. A new hotel.

To do all of that and to fit it into the back of the North stand something had to give. And that something is the existing external symmetry of the stadium.

Internally the stadium will look superb with 2 different ends, with the North stand referencing ‘a home end’ due to it’s different design and larger 2nd tier. The roof symmetry will still probably look the same inside the ground? (to be confirmed at the exhibition)

I’ve still got concerns about 2 aspects of the design. The blank wall on the end of the left arm as you look at it from Joe Mercer Way. And the design of the hotel. But until I visit the exhibition and view the proposal in more detail and speak to the people involved in the proposal, I’m trying to keep and open mind about those 2 issues.

Ha ha, I used to live in Burnage, so after a Sunday evening derby game, when I was about 17, I crossed Wilmslow road near Hardy's Well, then went down that street past the Army Barracks, then I cut through Birchfield's park to get on the 50 bus near Manchester Grammar. Although, I was literally the only person cutting through that park in the pitch dark, because nobody seemed to have the same idea. Couldn't imagine why??

Anyhow, I heard some lads shouting and then they were running and I took off like the clappers. It was only at this point that I had this flashback of being on a bus going down birchfields road, a year earlier, and the police had put a cordon around an area of the park where someone had been murdered. So in my mind I was running for my life. Never been so happy to see a bus turn up as I crossed the road.

Ha ha, I used to live in Burnage, so after a Sunday evening derby game, when I was about 17, I crossed Wilmslow road near Hardy's Well, then went down that street past the Army Barracks, then I cut through Birchfield's park to get on the 50 bus near Manchester Grammar. Although, I was literally the only person cutting through that park in the pitch dark, because nobody seemed to have the same idea. Couldn't imagine why??

Anyhow, I heard some lads shouting and then they were running and I took off like the clappers. It was only at this point that I had this flashback of being on a bus going down birchfields road, a year earlier, and the police had put a cordon around an area of the park where someone had been murdered. So in my mind I was running for my life. Never been so happy to see a bus turn up as I crossed the road.
Thats not Quinney Crescent mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.