North Stand Construction Discussion

Surprised there was no extra CGI’s at the consultation centre to be honest, are they hoping to get approval just on what they’ve shown I wonder?

I'm not really bothered by the idea of putting a hotel onsite, but the one that has been presented in the architects drawing looks totally out of place and is blocking the best view if the stadium. The opposite side of the stadium is too close to the road, to get a proper look at the size scale of the ground in its entirety, so the best angle is from Joe Mercer way. You have to agree that it is impressive currently from that end and with a new stand it will look amazing.

This enormous hotel right in front of the ground is nothing to do with Football and that spoils it for me.

And I don't agree that the Etihad site will ever be an extension of Manchester City Center. They said that 20 years ago. There have been so many proposals put forward in that time. I know from 47 years of living here, that the huge residential areas that surround the site are a pain in the arse to navigate. There are networks of streets where people live, parks, railways, scrap yards, canals, fly overs that are not owned by the club and completely disconnect the campus from the City center. Many blues have experienced problems getting to the ground from town. Some people still don't bother with the trams because they are unreliable and decide to walk it or park as close to the ground as possible. Also, the trams stop running at midnight, and are not managed by the club. The site will have to survive by itself, it will have to be a desirable destination which competes with the City center, and not part of it.

And this co op arena with it's 32 bars that are open 7 nights per week. I cannot imagine a group of young people deciding to give freight island or the Northern quarter a miss, and get a taxi to Beswick to sit drinking cocktails looking out across City's car park, or marveling at the gas holder or cemetery. I love your optimism, but c'mon.

Also, why are people even bothered? The arena is nothing to do with City, is it? It's being built by an American company. The council owned the land it is being built on, so there's no money coming City's way. In fact, will the people using the arena impact match day fans. Will they take up parking spaces, seats on the trams and buses?

Sorry for not being part of the happy clappy mob, but sometimes you have to ask questions, point out flaws and be realistic. It's a football stadium for football matches, that is what it is for. It's not Las Vegas or Disney land. It never will be.
The best view of the stadium has gone with the Coop Live construction. Yes it was nice looking back over the Joe Mercer Way side of the ground to see the full space ship design but that’s been traded off for much improved facilities and the second biggest indoor arena in Europe. The ground needed to be built up at the back of the North Stand otherwise it would take ages for the extra 7k fans who are going to be cheering us on to exit the ground at the end of the match..

The CFG are major shareholders in Coop Live. Having the hotel increases the chances of expensive packages being sold with say people going to gigs on a Friday and going to the match on Saturday. I’m talking about corporates / the rich rather than our core fan base. I don’t have strong views on the hotel but having achieved self sufficiency in recent years, it’s important for the Club to maintain this

Last edited:
You can see what the developers are trying to do. Build a sporting and entertainment hub in the area.
With the hotel up and running you will see artist performing at the arena for more nights, like a mini-residency. Draw in the punters from around a wider area.
So the likes of Beyonce, and that ginger lad, don't have to rock up in places like Rochdale, or Wigan, Mossley, or even Halifax.
Clever City!

We do know, because it's mission statement is in the proposal documents.

I am privy to some of it, having been asked 12 months ago to discuss some of the transport issues and possible solutions with people at CFG.

Imagine my surprise that most didn't even have a clue why we had so many early leavers!!

As per my previous post, coming from Sale/ Alty. Thousands stood on platforms down the line all the way to Cornbrook for a tram change.

I use the car to try and avoid it, but usually takes me an hour and ten for an eight mile drive from 5pm, so I can try and find a spot to park by half six.

Happy enough with the designs, but you don't build a new housing estate without building a few new schools as well
Late reply to this, so it might have been mentioned already:

You’re saying that after 15 years hardly anyone at CFG had any idea or investigated why City had so many early-leavers game-in game-out ?!?

That’s really bad.

The best view of the stadium has gone with the Coop Live construction. Yes it was nice looking back over the Joe Mercer Way side of the ground to see the full space ship design but that’s been traded off for much improved facilities and the second biggest indoor arena in Europe. The ground needed to be built up at the back of the North Stand otherwise it would take ages for the extra 7k fans who are going to be cheering us on to exit the ground at the end of the match..

The CFG are major shareholders in Coop Live. Having the hotel increases the chances of expensive packages being sold with say people going to gigs on a Friday and going to the match on Saturday. I’m talking about corporates / the rich rather than our core fan base. I don’t have strong views on the hotel but having achieved self sufficiency in recent years, it’s important for the Club to maintain this
What do you mean about time to leave the ground

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.