North Stand Construction Discussion

I'm not really bothered by the idea of putting a hotel onsite, but the one that has been presented in the architects drawing looks totally out of place and is blocking the best view if the stadium. The opposite side of the stadium is too close to the road, to get a proper look at the size scale of the ground in its entirety, so the best angle is from Joe Mercer way. You have to agree that it is impressive currently from that end and with a new stand it will look amazing.

This enormous hotel right in front of the ground is nothing to do with Football and that spoils it for me.

And I don't agree that the Etihad site will ever be an extension of Manchester City Center. They said that 20 years ago. There have been so many proposals put forward in that time. I know from 47 years of living here, that the huge residential areas that surround the site are a pain in the arse to navigate. There are networks of streets where people live, parks, railways, scrap yards, canals, fly overs that are not owned by the club and completely disconnect the campus from the City center. Many blues have experienced problems getting to the ground from town. Some people still don't bother with the trams because they are unreliable and decide to walk it or park as close to the ground as possible. Also, the trams stop running at midnight, and are not managed by the club. The site will have to survive by itself, it will have to be a desirable destination which competes with the City center, and not part of it.

And this co op arena with it's 32 bars that are open 7 nights per week. I cannot imagine a group of young people deciding to give freight island or the Northern quarter a miss, and get a taxi to Beswick to sit drinking cocktails looking out across City's car park, or marveling at the gas holder or cemetery. I love your optimism, but c'mon.

Also, why are people even bothered? The arena is nothing to do with City, is it? It's being built by an American company. The council owned the land it is being built on, so there's no money coming City's way. In fact, will the people using the arena impact match day fans. Will they take up parking spaces, seats on the trams and buses?

Sorry for not being part of the happy clappy mob, but sometimes you have to ask questions, point out flaws and be realistic. It's a football stadium for football matches, that is what it is for. It's not Las Vegas or Disney land. It never will be.
There's not being a happy clapper and not having a clue.

We do own the land bought it years ago, and we have 50% stake in the Arena, so happy clap that.

Your previous post said that teenagers and twenty somethings don’t have an emotional attachment to the kippax because it was 30/40 years ago. Ie if you weren’t alive it’s not relevant.

I’m just trying to highlight that’s not true and when you’re naming a stand you shouldn’t ignore our past.
I didnt say its not relevant at all, i said how much emotional attachment is there for something that was knocked down 30 years ago. And most of the people we are trying to attract never experienced it. Its a valid question i think.

I'm not really bothered by the idea of putting a hotel onsite, but the one that has been presented in the architects drawing looks totally out of place and is blocking the best view if the stadium. The opposite side of the stadium is too close to the road, to get a proper look at the size scale of the ground in its entirety, so the best angle is from Joe Mercer way. You have to agree that it is impressive currently from that end and with a new stand it will look amazing.

This enormous hotel right in front of the ground is nothing to do with Football and that spoils it for me.

And I don't agree that the Etihad site will ever be an extension of Manchester City Center. They said that 20 years ago. There have been so many proposals put forward in that time. I know from 47 years of living here, that the huge residential areas that surround the site are a pain in the arse to navigate. There are networks of streets where people live, parks, railways, scrap yards, canals, fly overs that are not owned by the club and completely disconnect the campus from the City center. Many blues have experienced problems getting to the ground from town. Some people still don't bother with the trams because they are unreliable and decide to walk it or park as close to the ground as possible. Also, the trams stop running at midnight, and are not managed by the club. The site will have to survive by itself, it will have to be a desirable destination which competes with the City center, and not part of it.

And this co op arena with it's 32 bars that are open 7 nights per week. I cannot imagine a group of young people deciding to give freight island or the Northern quarter a miss, and get a taxi to Beswick to sit drinking cocktails looking out across City's car park, or marveling at the gas holder or cemetery. I love your optimism, but c'mon.

Also, why are people even bothered? The arena is nothing to do with City, is it? It's being built by an American company. The council owned the land it is being built on, so there's no money coming City's way. In fact, will the people using the arena impact match day fans. Will they take up parking spaces, seats on the trams and buses?

Sorry for not being part of the happy clappy mob, but sometimes you have to ask questions, point out flaws and be realistic. It's a football stadium for football matches, that is what it is for. It's not Las Vegas or Disney land. It never will be.
You sound like Louis Edwards , the game has moved on, time moves on.

The Kippax standing was knocked down 30 years ago you've got to be approx 40 to remember it. How much emotional attachment do late teens and twenty odd year old have to it, as they are the ones we need to attract to create the atmosphere in the new NS2.
I would personally go with the 9320 end.
The Pep end

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.