North Stand Construction Discussion

Transport issues will be the interesting one. That issue is one of the main ones affecting the fans. And one of the main complaints.

I doubt losing a row of digital advertising boards at the front of NSL2 will have too much impact on City financially.

I’d like to think the club would rather see a colourful and vibrant home end full of banners and flags. I’m sure the fans, Pep and the players would.
Can't we build a monorail from town?

You know I mentioned that months ago on here. I don’t think it is a daft idea at all. Would help with the flow of spectators and be a great addition to the City. Fairly cheap option compared to tunnelling and ground works. Just need the pylons, rails a couple of stations and off you go

Many moons ago, before we moved into the Etihad, I attended the inaugural meeting of the Northenden OSC.
Dennis Tueart and other club representatives attended.
All the talk was around the move to the new stadium, in particular the proposed capacity.
It had been decided that a near 50000 seater stadium would be constructed, based on the fact that our then current fan base and demand for tickets would fill it.
Further discussion ensued regard where our then current fan base lived.
Surprisingly, Tueart said that 36% of our then current fan base were resident in the South East of the country.
That was 20 years ago, when we were shit.
It’s now believed we have 100 million fans worldwide, with 1% based in the UK. That’s obviously 1 million.
But, the most striking fact I’ve seen is as a member of Stretford and Urmston OSC.
We take a double decker bus to every home game, always full, but noticeably, the vast majority of fans are over 50, long life fans, a couple of which originate from other parts of the country. Many are in their 60’s and 70’s. But there just aren’t many kids.
Look at pictures of fans at Maine Road from the 60, 70 snd 80’s.
Hordes of kids and teenagers.
Enabling families and kids, teenagers and 20 somethings to attend games together is vital in my view.
Cost and availability of adjacent seats is the issue, there are too few to go around,
I think we have around 40000 season card holders. Add to that 3000 away fans, 5000 corporate seats, and we are left with around 5000 general sale tickets, and not many seated together.
Only when an away team don’t take their full allocation, or a cup game frees up seats not occupied by season card holders, or the first and second tiers where away fans would normally sit, do some occasional match day going fans get the chance to sit together, or get a ticket.
So, will thought be given to enabling those fans who are wanting to go more often, but can’t because of high cost or a lack of adjacent seat availability.
We’d fill any size stadium if the price was right and seats were available for many.
I hope City consider options to accommodate and entice fans, other than the season card holders.
Build it and they will come, but only if they can afford it and can sit together.

I agree completely that the club needs to make the small number of general admission tickets left more accessible to non season card holders. The adult ticket price is generally £55-60 for single games which is way too much.

Like you say the best opportunity for new fans to come to a game are usually CL group games and cup games where prices are cheaper and there's more availability of adjacent seats. Unfortunately these tend to be the games where the atmosphere isn't quite up to par which I can imagine doesn't create the best impression.

Regarding the OSC coaches being made up of mainly 50+ year olds, could this not be more to do with the OSCs themselves (for whatever reason) failing to appeal to younger fans? It seems to me like we have plenty of younger (under 30s) fans at games but would be very interesting to see the data on the average/median age of fans over the years.

A very good point and a country/council looking to the future would be doing that.
The monorail metro in Dubai was built through and beyond the busiest part of down town and the full length of SZR.

It,and the stations, are world class and it was built in next to no time.

Sheikh Mo undertook regular unannounced night time inspections to ensure it was on time and on budget.

Where there's a will.....

Did you know?

City’s first matches were played near ‘Clowes Street’.

The Clowes End.

I thought I’d bring a bit of City history into the North stand naming discussion. :-)

The location chosen for the football team's first games was essentially an area of unused waste land known in records to be "near Clowes Street", and picked as it was also the location that the St Mark's cricket teams played.

@Yelloways Army
What do you reckon to this?

The monorail metro in Dubai was built through and beyond the busiest part of down town and the full length of SZR.

It,and the stations, are world class and it was built in next to no time.

Sheikh Mo undertook regular unannounced night time inspections to ensure it was on time and on budget.

Where there's a will.....
The Dubai metro and the Dubai monorail are two different things.

The metro is an overhead rail line, good luck getting that through planning given the furore over the overland/overhead HS2 proposal into Piccadilly.

The monorail is like the one at Epcot, or in The Simpsons, depending on your reference. It cost over £300M in 2009 for a 3 mile stretch from The Palms and carries about 100 people per trip. Not exactly mass transit.

We've got what we're going to get, we just need to make it work

No, mate.

It took 10 years to build Metrolink to the Etihad. Parts of HS2, including the Manchester leg have been paused for 2 years to try and save money. There’s absolutely no chance ever of a monorail happening.

Maybe something similar could be constructed in time for the North stand expansion opening?

1678707456759.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.