North Stand Construction Discussion

Didn’t Worsley say the construction company, was it Laing O'Rourke, lost money on building the South Stand expansion. Stand corrected on that.
Maybe explains why the finish is so god awful.

No, mate.

It took 10 years to build Metrolink to the Etihad. Parts of HS2, including the Manchester leg have been paused for 2 years to try and save money. There’s absolutely no chance ever of a monorail happening.

Maybe something similar could be constructed in time for the North stand expansion opening?

View attachment 71984
Either he’s MASSIVE or that train is tiny

The Dubai metro and the Dubai monorail are two different things.

The metro is an overhead rail line, good luck getting that through planning given the furore over the overland/overhead HS2 proposal into Piccadilly.

The monorail is like the one at Epcot, or in The Simpsons, depending on your reference. It cost over £300M in 2009 for a 3 mile stretch from The Palms and carries about 100 people per trip. Not exactly mass transit.

We've got what we're going to get, we just need to make it work
It was clear what & which I was referring to.

The Dubai Monorail is superb and a huge success connecting DIFC,downtown the marina and increasing areas of Dubai South.

The Manchester Metro is old world by comparison.

I replied to a post asking would we fill a 70,000 stadium. Some people, even some of our own fans, don’t think we’ll fill this new stand in a 62,000(?) stadium.

City could have a stadium the size of Old Trafford and United could have a stadium the size of the Camp Nou and priced accordingly we’d both sell out. Whether we both sell out now is neither here nor there really, both stadiums are far too small for the size of our fanbases. And it would be fair ticket prices that would determine the eventual capacity.

54,000 is quite a piddly little stadium in my eyes. That we’re selling that out now isn’t a good achievement for a club that once had an 85,000 stadium and have dozens of attendances over 70,000. Plus when it’s £68 a ticket for adults and £37 a ticket for kids, we don’t sell out.

West Ham have shown this. They historically have only the eleventh all-time highest average attendance but have moved into a stadium where they now have the second highest average attendance in the country, and they don’t even win or even challenge for anything.

Spurs stadium is very nice, but it’s 15,000 seats too small, Arsenal’s is about 25,000 seats too small. Liverpool are adding to their stadium but even when they’ve joined this new bit onto the Anfield Road end, it’ll still be about 30,000 seats too small for their fanbase.
City had a 63,000 capacity stadium when I started watching and rarely had more than 20,000 inside. In my first four years of watching City only two matches sold out. The first was against United with a (pay at the gate) 1-1 draw that virtually ensured that City rather than United would go down. The second was a sixth round (all ticket) FA Cup match against Everton where City lost after two replays to the eventual Cup Winners.

In the League winning season in 1967-8 there were a lot of matches with 25,000 to 30,000 crowds. There were very few season ticket holders back then. I think they were only sold for the Main Stand, as there were no numbered seats in the Platt Lane Stand. I bought my first season ticket when seats were installed in the North Stand, a year after it first opened for standing.

Back then, as now, many would pick their matches. The difference then was that it was not obvious as the gaps left by absentees were not so apparent on a terrace.

The football authorities resisted moves to televise live matches other than the FA Cup Final. In fact the upsurge in attendances only started after live League matches were televised. Since then the top clubs have struggled to expand their stadiums to cope with increased crowds. But a lot of that extra demand has come from tourists. However the City support has certainly expanded dramatically from a its former predominantly white working class base.

The club has been rather cautious in terms of stadium expansion since 2008, and rightly so. The covid pandemic has probably delayed things by a couple of years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.