North Stand Construction Discussion

Anyone else share the concern that building continually on an existing stadium eventually leads to structural & logistical problems you now see at Old Trafford and to a lesser extent Anfield, Stamford Bridge etc. I know ours is still ‘new’ in comparison but I get the feeling a stadium has its own lifespan within which you can only build on the original structure so much.

I suppose the case for it being a positive would be the Bernabeu or similar but that was stripped right down to its core before having the entirety of the exterior redeveloped.

I sometimes wish Sheikh Mansour and the owners had gone through with their initial feelers of building a new stadium when they were mooting it after the takeover.

Please see below from the Northwestern University Sailing Center which Populous used as inspiration for the design of the hotel fins.

Populous decided to go for a smaller fin on the hotel.

I think the large fin looks amazing and ties in with City more, our badge has a tall ship in it and would look amazing at night.

Imagine something like that covering the whole ground

@jrb

1703842600093.png

1703842504883.png
1703894446637.png

1703894506957.png

1703894553248.png

Anyone else share the concern that building continually on an existing stadium eventually leads to structural & logistical problems you now see at Old Trafford and to a lesser extent Anfield, Stamford Bridge etc. I know ours is still ‘new’ in comparison but I get the feeling a stadium has its own lifespan within which you can only build on the original structure so much.

I suppose the case for it being a positive would be the Bernabeu or similar but that was stripped right down to its core before having the entirety of the exterior redeveloped.

I sometimes wish Sheikh Mansour and the owners had gone through with their initial feelers of building a new stadium when they were mooting it after the takeover.
There is no structure on earth that does not have a end of life date.

The Etihad will be replaced at some point just like Hyde Rd and Maine Rd, but I would say that a vast majority will never live to see it.

Please see below from the Northwestern University Sailing Center which Populous used as inspiration for the design of the hotel fins.

I think the large fin looks amazing and ties in with City more, our badge has a tall ship in it and would look amazing at night.

@jrb

View attachment 102694

View attachment 102692
View attachment 102743

View attachment 102744

View attachment 102745
A economic and reasonable way to make a huge difference to a basic building shape.

Last edited:

I don't want to see a wrap of the whole stadium. Ever, probably. There, I said it. Just my own opinion of course.

I still personally maintain that more than the size, it will be the horizontal panels that will make or break it, on those two blocks.

Three and a bit months till the example bay is up on site.

Last edited:
There is no structure on earth that does not have a end of life date.

The Etihad will be replaced at some point just like Hyde Rd and Maine Rd, but I would say that a vast majority will never live to see it.
Old Trafford has already surpassed it and is still there - I think (I avoid that area at all costs)

Calling @Burtonblue :)

(unless I got the wrong poster)

Yes that is interesting, can see the pre done Colin Bell.stand minus the seats whereas the North Stand is just banked up without steps. Suppose they had to match up.the concourse in the North Stand on levels 1 and 2 as well. Thx
If I remember rightly the "minus seats" was because we dug down after the games and that was where the running track was??

If I remember rightly the "minus seats" was because we dug down after the games and that was where the running track was??
Yes my take is the steps / terraces were there beneath the running track before and we dug the pitch down after the games to get it level and then put the seats on whereas the north stand was a complete job

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.