North Stand Construction Discussion

Yes my take is the steps / terraces were there beneath the running track before and we dug the pitch down after the games to get it level and then put the seats on whereas the north stand was a complete job
If I'm understanding you correctly are you saying that the bottom tier for the E, W & S stands were built and then buried under soil with the athletics track built on top? I'm pretty certain that is not what happened.

Last edited:
One thing I've sometimes wondered is whether the first tier where the running track is was dug out as part of the original works and the running track put over it or whether the whole first tier, concourse etc was done afterwards, that would be a very big job. Anyone know what happened?
South East & West stands lower tier was constructed post the games along with a complete north stand

In the second phase, the track was removed, the ground lowered by 6m, with 90,000 m3 of earth removed, a lower section installed to provide 24 additional rows of seating and the temporary stand replaced. The bowl, which first covered three-quarters of the stadium in a horseshoe shape, was completed for the football stadium. The primary mast and cable structural system – totally independent of the roof plate structure – was fully constructed in the initial phase.

Yes my take is the steps / terraces were there beneath the running track before and we dug the pitch down after the games to get it level and then put the seats on whereas the north stand was a complete job
To do this they would have had to remove all the earth and then put it back only to remove it again Wouldnt make sense to do so

Pictures from Alamy of the stadium under construction. And from the GMP Police Museum website.

Note. No Metrolink line in the last picture. The Metrolink line was supposed to be built in time for the games, but New Labour pulled the funding for it, and it took another 10 years before the Metrolink line reached the stadium and the Etihad Campus.

IMG_0124.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0122.jpeg

Last edited:
More pictures from Alamy of the stadium under construction. And from the GMP Police Museum website.

Note. No Metrolink line in the last picture. The Metrolink linw was supposed to be built in time for the games, but New Labour pulled the funding for it, and it took another 10 years before the Metrolink line reached the stadium and Etihad Campus.

View attachment 102898

View attachment 102899

View attachment 102900
I got to go on a school trip to see it being built. Didn't appreciate it at the time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.