North Stand Construction Discussion

I can't think of a single reason why City would move everyone in the family stand from the North stand to the South Stand to accommodate a singing section in the North stand. It would be extremely disruptive.
I doubt that’s going to happen anyway. They aren’t going to put kids in the safe standing section (ss1). The obvious answer is to leave the family stand as it is and make level 2 the home end, with safe standing included.

If you want a pint you will get a pint, if you want food you can get food, you're overthinking it mate...

I'm just thinking as an overall package. But you don't have to sit in the North Stand to use the new City Square so you're probably right! Our most vocal fans at the moment certainly don't hang around City square is all I'm saying - they do their best to avoid it! It would just seem logical for the club to create the new City Square for fans who use the new North Stand.

I remain cynical about what we'll see. What's this covered City square going to provide? Is it going to be a beer hall style area to bring in the singers and get them buying loads of pints before making a racket? Or will the club think, they spend a limited amount and actually what we want is family and tourist oriented entertainment with lots of merchandise and to make a fortune capturing that revenue each matchday. Market to the Cityzen members a unique matchday experience with access to City square and all the entertainment plus seats in a single tier "home end" (they'll still call it that).

Those who come for a couple of beers and a sing song spend relatively little and they're already going to come and watch City sat where they currently are. The atmosphere is clearly good enough for us to perform as a club - unbeaten at home in 2023 - so why change it? Why not design it to capture as much revenue as possible which will come from those with kids, tourists and cityzen members who will undoubtedly spend more money.

You should see the new bar area at the back of SSL1. There's a DJ. There's plenty of singing. It's absolutely rammed before the match and at half-time. It makes a lot of money. It used to be a dead space before the club redeveloped it into the bar area. They should have done it years ago. They've lost a lot of money not doing it sooner

If the club go down a similar road with the 3000 capacity Fanzone it will make an absolute fortune. I suspect the club will replicate something similar to the City Square Fanzone with a stage, live music, bands, guests, ex-players, etc being interviewed by Fanzone Danny, Natalie Pike, etc.

Ideally the 3000 capacity fanzone will cater for people like me who just want a drink, listen to DJ music, whilst having a chat. And for people who liked the previous City Square setup.(which I didn't bother with) A split fanzone, if possible?

Last edited:
You should see the new bar area at the back of SSL1. There's a DJ. There's plenty of singing. It's absolutely rammed before the match and at half-time. It makes a lot of money. It used to be a dead space before the club redeveloped it into the bar area. They should have done it years ago. They've lost a lot of money by not doing it sooner

If the club go down a similar road with the 3000 capacity Fanzone it will make a fortune. I suspect the club will replicate something similar to the City Square Fanzone with a stage, live music, guests, ex-players, etc being interviewed hyb, Fanzone Danny, Natalie Pike, etc.

Ideally the 3000 capacity Fanzone will cater for people like me who just want a drink and listen to a DJ, whilst having a chat. And for people who liked the previous City Square setup.(which I didn't bother with)
Agreed, the bar at the back of the South Stand has been an incredible success, the service is fantastic, what it has also done is free up the other kiosks on the south stand so they aren't rammed like they used to be, I would love to know what the extra revenue is (I know its a drop in the ocean regarding finances but it all adds up)

Reactions: jrb
I'm just thinking as an overall package. But you don't have to sit in the North Stand to use the new City Square so you're probably right! Our most vocal fans at the moment certainly don't hang around City square is all I'm saying - they do their best to avoid it! It would just seem logical for the club to create the new City Square for fans who use the new North Stand.
Agree. You didn't see what you would call many SSL1 singers stood at City Square listening to Fanzone Danny and/or Natalie Pike interviewing some City celeb, band member, ex- player, etc. Most SSL1 singers want a few pints, want to talk and have a laugh with their mates, and want to listen to some Manchester tunes. That's why the new bar area behind SSL1 is always busy and works really well. It's like a proper bar and night club.

Last edited:
Agreed, the bar at the back of the South Stand has been an incredible success, the service is fantastic, what it has also done is free up the other kiosks on the south stand so they aren't rammed like they used to be, I would love to know what the extra revenue is (I know its a drop in the ocean regarding finances but it all adds up)
The club trialed the beer carts for a while. The beer always sold out. But there were teething problems. That's probably when the club decided the new bar would be a success. As you say, it also free's up the other bars on the main concourse.

In this modern era of sanitised stadiums is it necessary to have a designated family section? There are plenty of things the club can do around the stadium before the game aimed at kids and families and then they all go off to their various seats around the stadium.

There's 2 lower side blocks on the new L2 tier. One or both could be used as family blocks. They've got direct access to the stairs. Not too far for the kids to go up. And they would love the chanting, being next to it, and joining in with it.

We have to get the kids involved in supporting the team. Not isolating them in their own stand far away from the singers. That's how we grow up supporting City on the Kippax. That's how we learnt the chants, and made our way up to the singing section as we grew older.

Last edited:
I currently sit in the Family Stand along with my mates. There is a good crowd around us who are of the older generation with the younger lads being in their early 20s. From where we sit, we don’t see that many younger families in and around our block.

I doubt they would move and relocate us all. We’re all established like most around the ground.

What I am interested in though,is whether the fans in North Stand Level 1 will have access to City Hall (I think that’s what it’s called)? This seems to be a self contained Hall, which is linked to City Square. The Hall will have its own entry point to allow it to be used as a standalone area.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.