North Stand Construction Discussion

That would be so disappointing if they actually did that. We’ve got a 7,000 home end and we instead decide to make it a new family stand..

How would repeating ss1 be more effective than a single tier home end?
It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me. My guess is NSL1 will be made safe standing, the front few rows of NSL2 will be corporate/hospitality and the remainder being the new family stand.

Hope I’m wrong.

Personally I think that would be a massive waste of the opportunity of a new unified singing section under a roof specifically designed to make sound travel round the stadium, like it does when chants start in SSL3. It would be a repeat of the issues in SSL1 where chants don't spread as well as SSL3 because it is under an overhang.

The opportunity to do huge banner and other displays on the expanded L2 would be wasted also. As shown in the plans, the roof will be designed to enable drop down banners which cover the second tier.
Don't think I've ever heard a chant from SSL3 since it's been rebuilt. It looks like a combination of posh seats and non-season ticket holders from the other end and, if they are singing, the sound doesn't reach the far end.

Suspect it's a modern stadium problem though as Wembley is exactly the same and behind a goal though can barely hear the opposition fans

Don't think I've ever heard a chant from SSL3 since it's been rebuilt. It looks like a combination of posh seats and non-season ticket holders from the other end and, if they are singing, the sound doesn't reach the far end.

Suspect it's a modern stadium problem though as Wembley is exactly the same and behind a goal though can barely hear the opposition fans

There are no posh seats in ssl3.

That would be so disappointing if they actually did that. We’ve got a 7,000 home end and we instead decide to make it a new family stand..

How would repeating ss1 be more effective than a single tier home end?
Both tiers at that end are already the family stand, so you end up with lots of kids behind the goal, so less singing, empty seats for night games and the front empties when it rains. Why would you not want standing fans behind both goals?

Hopefully the new/redeveloped stand will be better. Would it have been an idea to have the family section on L2 when it was introduced originally?

That is one of the conundrums for City. If they do decide to relocate the family stand, where are they going to relocate it to? Maybe they will leave it where it is? It‘s interesting that either or both NSL1 and NSL2 could be made safe standing, which is mentioned in the planning application. *Future phases*.

Last edited:
The only way this extension would have been atmosphere based would have been for it to be done properly. Personally that to me would have meant 1 massive stand- regardless of the increased cost. Then I would have moved. Alternatively, before the coop arena was built an entirely new ground could have gone up on the land we had like Tottenham did or Bournemouth are planning to do. Too late now for that.

I am in 115 and a member of 1894 but I have absolutely no intention of moving over. I am not going onto the second tier of the ground with a worse view just due to the poor design of the ground. I get it is for some just not for me.

I have somewhat given up about caring about the other areas of the ground. For the large part SS1 is decent and has the best bar area and that’s enough for me. City certainly don’t care given the whole second tier is corporate and they are selling more and more tickets to match day sales. To me there are too many risks to try and set up a new ‘singing section’, the grass isn’t always greener. A large part of the atmosphere is the wind up with away fans. City might well try and sell it as a new atmosphere end just to try and get people away from the away fans given the heavy stewarding and policing issues recently rather than caring about the actual atmosphere.

When I have spoken to those around me and that I know in 115 nobody fancies it. The only way in which I can see people going for it is cheaper prices etc like what happened with SS3 when people stopped their move to lower to get cheaper seats up top. I also think there will be nothing but season ticket increases from city so doubt that.

There is also the fact that surely those already in family stand will get first choice, meaning any plan to fill the stand with younger crowd or move people from other stands won’t necessarily work or if does will only be the nosebleed seats left at top. Could just end up family stand 2.0.

Yes, the increased stewarding, visible police presence, and unseen plain clothed police presence in SSL1 is a concern. The club have flooded parts of SSL1 with stewards who have been more pro active this season. That certainly hasn’t helped the atmosphere in SSL1.

If NSL2 is all seater with no safe standing there will be continual problems with City fans standing and stewards enforcing no standing throughout NSL2.

Last edited:
Both tiers at that end are already the family stand, so you end up with lots of kids behind the goal, so less singing, empty seats for night games and the front empties when it rains. Why would you not want standing fans behind both goals?
Of course I’d want standing fans behind both goals, but why not have 7/8,000 fans all stood in one huge second tier, creating loads of noise, behind the goal instead?

A large tier that would generate more noise, allow for bigger displays and get the rest of the ground going. A level 1 section is no different to what we have now.

That is one of the conundrums for City. If they do decide to relocate the family stand, where are they going to relocate it to? Maybe they will leave it where it is? It‘s interesting that either or both NSL1 and NSL2 could be made safe standing, which is mentioned in the planning application. *Future phases*.
The easiest thing to do is just leave it where it is. From what I remember kids tickets used to be cheaper all around the ground, so we didn’t actually need a family stand. I don’t think it’s worked really.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.