North Stand Construction Discussion

The problem with me is the dire situation on the railways at weekends. I was unable to source a train ticket for numerous matches this season and last. Both TPE and especially Avanti are rubbish with last minute cancellations and refusal to sell Advance tickets in case the train is cancelled and they have to pay compensation.

We usually ended up travelling East Coast from Edinburgh, changing at York or Leeds. They will either not quote a fare to Manchester via York or put a ridiculous fare up. So we book to York or Leeds and then pay the excess on the train or at Victoria Station.

For a lot of matches, this was not possible so I ended up selling our tickets on the Exchange. The only reason we renewed this season was to ensure tickets for the big matches at Wembley. I am not sure I will go through the same fiasco next season?
Yeah I'm not having a go at you mate. In fact quite the opposite, I love your contributions to this thread.

For the last 25 years I've worked in demographics and price elasticity, and trust me, I could bore you to tears with anecdotes and factual evidence of situations where demand is affected by something being too cheap.

This started at the ETIHAD with the "Value" Seasoncards (a great idea at the time) where City sold Season Tickets for those individual seats that remained unsold, essentially because supporters wanted to sit with their mates in 2s, 3s, or 4s, and thus leave the odd vacant seat.
Basically, if you were happy sitting alone, then you could buy a cheap Season Ticket and still enjoy value for money despite missing all those pesky boring midweek games.
A mate of mine asserted: "It's brilliant. Now I don't have to go against Watford or Swansea"

That scenario is now exaggerated in the Family Stand, and looking from Block 219 in the South Stand I can tell you exactly where the gaps will appear at the Brentford game nextTuesday.

Again, I'm not having a go at people who can't afford to watch City on a regular basis. I'm just saying that selling cheap Season Tickets isn't always the answer.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not having a go at you mate. In fact quite the opposite, I love your contributions to this thread.

For the last 25 years I've worked in demographics and price elasticity, and trust me, I could bore you to tears with anecdotes and factual evidence of situations where demand is affected by something being too cheap.

This started at the ETIHAD with the "Value" Seasoncards (a great idea at the time) where City sold Season Tickets for those individual seats that remained unsold, essentially because supporters wanted to sit with their mates in 2s, 3s, or 4s, and thus leave the odd vacant seat.
Basically, if you were happy sitting alone, then you could buy a cheap Season Ticket and still enjoy value for money despite missing all those pesky boring midweek games.
A mate of mine asserted: "It's brilliant. Now I don't have to go against Watford or Swansea"

That scenario is now exaggerated in the Family Stand, and looking from Block 219 in the South Stand I can tell you exactly where the gaps will appear at the Brentford game nest Tuesday.

Again, I'm not having a go at people who can't afford to watch City on a regular basis. I'm just saying that selling cheap Season Tickets isn't always the answer.

I don’t think it matters if season tickets are expensive or if they are cheap. If people don’t want to turn up for Brentford they won’t. The issue seems to be more and more City fans are not turning up for matches partly due to the ticket exchange. They know they will get some money back for their unused ticket. I’m not saying that is the main reason, but since the ticket exchange started more and more tickets/seats have been relisted for sale. Obviously the club doesn’t mind as the ticket exchange generates more money for the club, even though seats still remain unsold due to being too expensive.

Last edited:
The problem with me is the dire situation on the railways at weekends. I was unable to source a train ticket for numerous matches this season and last. Both TPE and especially Avanti are rubbish with last minute cancellations and refusal to sell Advance tickets in case the train is cancelled and they have to pay compensation.

We usually ended up travelling East Coast from Edinburgh, changing at York or Leeds. They will either not quote a fare to Manchester via York or put a ridiculous fare up. So we book to York or Leeds and then pay the excess on the train or at Victoria Station.

For a lot of matches, this was not possible so I ended up selling our tickets on the Exchange. The only reason we renewed this season was to ensure tickets for the big matches at Wembley. I am not sure I will go through the same fiasco next season?
If you can get to Leeds Station, you are welcome on the Harrogate Blues Executive Coach. Not for tomorrow I’m afraid, as our coach is packed.

I don’t think it matters if season tickets are expensive or if they are cheap. If people don’t want to turn up for Brentford they won’t. The issue seems to be more and more City fans are not turning up for matches partly due to the ticket exchange. They know they will get some money back for their unused ticket. I’m not saying that is the main reason, but since the ticket exchange started more and more tickets/seats have been relisted for sale. Obviously the club doesn’t mind as the ticket exchange generates more money for the club, even though seats still remain unsold due to being too expensive.
Apart from when the club guarantee a refund (rags, dippers etc) you don’t get anything back unless it sells on the ticket exchange.

You might be right, but just to play Devil's Advocate I'm also a cricket umpire and frequently miss City's first or last home games (depending on their importance) when the seasons collide.
I've used the Ticket Exchange 3-4 times and my seat has always been sold.

What happened to the North Stand expansion thread, just like the campus thread its shot off on a tangent?

Come on mods do your job
The thread would disappear off the first page except for the occasional post from jrb about piles and erecting stuff if not for the nonsense. Building something this big is a slow process.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.