North Stand Expansion

The Grenfell victims would like to say hello at this point, FFS!

My former company has had to spend over £30m carrying out remediation work to put fire safe cladding on its developments. Absolutely shocking, but that's what the construction industry has been up to.

I should clarify, at no point did I change any cladding from a fire safe to a unsafe version, the products complied with the building regulations at the time, which were fucking moronic I should add. Sadly it took Grenfell to make the government and developers realise this.

Last edited:
Spot on with all of that, agree entirely.

Other than, maybe that 'majority of people viewing it when finished won't even notice'.

As you say, significant project, and that is where any pushbacks do happen. There is every chance the client rejects it too, on a £300m investment.

I formed my opinion before reading jrb's comment, and from the timing he would have formed his before reading mine. He has seen it in person mind, and I think his reaction is very telling.

Yeah it's quite possible the club have asked to see a sample too and haven't signed it off yet, so there's hope. We all know jrb loves his architecture, and you certainly do as well so I would still say you are outliers in that regard and the majority of people wouldn't look that closely. But that doesn't mean it's right to spec something that's quite clearly cheaper and less attractive. Hopefully between the club and Council they do make a change. It's going to form quite a significant public realm in the future and it's not only about looking good on day 1, it's about looking good for the decades to come.

The next construction picture update will be in 2 weeks. :-)
Great pictures there JRB. Thanks.

My take:

It’s going up fast now!

It’s huge and I expect even bigger in person.

I can’t visualise the finished building even looking at the plans as my mind can’t make the jump.

City do seem to cut corners on some aspects of construction and it’s a false economy in my opinion. The sails, though I wouldn’t have spotted at this stage, is a good example.

The hotel has always looked unimaginative to me but might look better when complete. City seem to go for industrial rather than space age. There are some aspects of the new New York City stadium I would like to see on ours.

The academy complex is excellent, maybe even outstanding, and looks far better than the outside of our stadium though the inside of the stadium is very good. I wonder if the talked about wrap around has gone for good?

Our bridge is rusty and reminds me of the b of the bang as a result!

Everything looks more impressive in the sun.

Joe Mercer Way just makes me laugh at this point. I know they won’t leave it like that but I’ve never seen a road like it anywhere. It’s a good example of how cutting corners can come back to bite you in a relatively short space of time. I imagine Sheikh Mansour walking along it thinking WTF is this I’ve paid for?

Yeah it's quite possible the club have asked to see a sample too and haven't signed it off yet, so there's hope. We all know jrb loves his architecture, and you certainly do as well so I would still say you are outliers in that regard and the majority of people wouldn't look that closely. But that doesn't mean it's right to spec something that's quite clearly cheaper and less attractive. Hopefully between the club and Council they do make a change. It's going to form quite a significant public realm in the future and it's not only about looking good on day 1, it's about looking good for the decades to come.

There will be more to it than we will ever know. In fairness to them, the way this is put together isn't all purely about just the price of one material vs another. There is a lot that will go into it. The varying profile, pretty much rules out extrusions. Not without loads of pieces and joints. So it was always likely to be a wrap on a frame. They have gone further by limiting it to two sides and panels which has consequences. The savings will be in the weight as much as the finish. But let's not go too far into it.

We seem to agree that it is a cheaper version of what has been approved, how it plays out from here time will tell.

whilst I don't really care about the cladding/accessories hanging off the hotel or lobster claws, I do care about how fantastic those three GIANT f**cking screens are going to be!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.