North Stand Expansion

Adding a new 4th tier to the E & W stands has never been an option (I think), it's about adding a few rows to the back of the existing 3rd tiers which would only be possible when the roof is replaced. The existing roof would block sightlines, a new (higher at the back edge) roof would allow them to be fitted. It would also mean we'd have a roof that slopes down to the pitch rather than up to the sky. Presumably this would also help with acoustics, keeping more crowd noise in the stadium.
So could we be heading for what could effectively look like a blue Wembley. The whole 2nd tier could become hospitality with E&W L3 extended?

So could we be heading for what could effectively look like a blue Wembley. The whole 2nd tier could become hospitality with E&W L3 extended?
Been mentioned a few times that the whole second level will eventually end up hospitality etc, probably to offset lower prices in other areas of the stadium (hopefully) not something I’m against but I won’t be turfed out of my seats to accommodate it

and it was f****** cold and miserable, never the "home end "
Only The Kippax!

I’d do anything to have a proper vocal stand along the side of the pitch where the East Stand is now.

If they emailed me to say I had to take two years out without going while they knocked down the current East Stand and built a giant one-tier’d Bert Trautmann stand that was safe standing and held 30,000, I’d take it.

None of this behind-the-goal shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we did have a proper home end behind the goal at Maine Road once, which became the seated North Stand, along with the Kippax Stand.

Circa 1946.

View attachment 50263

View attachment 50264

View attachment 50265

The 2002 Commonwealth Games stadium before it was transformed into the early Etihad Stadium. Note how far back the temporary North Stand single tier was, covering City Square, and being close to the souvenier store.

View attachment 50266

More pictures of Maine Road via the link.

Home end ? My old man always stood behind the goals covered end called the Platt lane,seats didn't go in that stand till late 50s.

and it was f****** cold and miserable, never the "home end "
Never was a home or away no segregation in them days. I always was in the scoreboard end it was always packed and when it rained only your head and shoulders got wet, and when city scored it took you a few minutes to find your mates. Great fun until they put seats in, but I always thought that the Kippax was a worse view.

Been mentioned a few times that the whole second level will eventually end up hospitality etc, probably to offset lower prices in other areas of the stadium (hopefully) not something I’m against but I won’t be turfed out of my seats to accommodate it

What are you going to do. Chain yourself to the seat or something?

What are you going to do. Chain yourself to the seat or something?
Haha poor wording on my part, I’m on level 1 so it won’t affect me is what I meant, those on 2 and not corporate etc will feel different about getting turfed out or face price hikes….I also don’t sit on ‘seats’ but I am a bit of a porker

Home end ? My old man always stood behind the goals covered end called the Platt lane,seats didn't go in that stand till late 50s.
i remember a half hearted attempt by fans to have the seats removed fro the platt lane stand around mid-seventies but by that time swales was boasting that maine road had the highest number of seats of any club ground

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.