North Stand Expansion

My firm installed the Colin bell to North stand corner, it was a very challenging job. We also had 18 months on the academy before that.

I may put all the construction photos in a thread one day if people are interested....

That would be great. Thanks in advance.

My firm installed the Colin bell to North stand corner, it was a very challenging job. We also had 18 months on the academy before that.

I may put all the construction photos in a thread one day if people are interested....
Pop them into the stadium thread if you can bud:-

So we did have a proper home end behind the goal at Maine Road once, which became the seated North Stand, along with the Kippax Stand.

Circa 1946.

1658259009345.jpeg

1658259036023.jpeg

1658259171095.jpeg

The 2002 Commonwealth Games stadium before it was transformed into the early Etihad Stadium. Note how far back the temporary North Stand single tier was, covering City Square, and being close to the souvenier store.

1658259304823.jpeg

More pictures of Maine Road via the link.

That's what someone told me years ago, albeit there's tens of stadiums without corner cut outs... )(
It wasn't for wind it was for natural sunlight which improves the quality of the playing surface.

It wasn't for wind it was for natural sunlight which improves the quality of the playing surface.
Dunno, I got told by someone with knowledge of the stadium build it was to do with air circulating to help the playing surface.

I'm no expert on wind or playing surfaces, so just took him & others at their word. )(

Nothing to do with sunlight bud, the leading edge of the south stand is translucent to get more sunlight on the pitch but the open corners are purely for wind flow. If it was for sunlight there would be no point in the NW & NE corners being the same design.

So we did have a proper home end behind the goal at Maine Road once, which became the seated North Stand, along with the Kippax Stand.

Circa 1946.

View attachment 50263

View attachment 50264

View attachment 50265

The 2002 Commonwealth Games stadium before it was transformed into the early Etihad Stadium. Note how far back the temporary North Stand single tier was, covering City Square, and being close to the souvenier store.

View attachment 50266

More pictures of Maine Road via the link.

It was called the Scoreboard End.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.