North Stand Expansion

One thing I've sometimes wondered is whether the first tier where the running track is was dug out as part of the original works and the running track put over it or whether the whole first tier, concourse etc was done afterwards, that would be a very big job. Anyone know what happened?
The running track was on top of the already constructed now 1st tier ! The open end which became the North Stand was purposely left open to allow the site access for the equipment to finish the stadium to be converted into the football ground ! The first tier is 4 meters below ground level.

One thing I've sometimes wondered is whether the first tier where the running track is was dug out as part of the original works and the running track put over it or whether the whole first tier, concourse etc was done afterwards, that would be a very big job. Anyone know what happened?

Doesn’t tell you everything you’ve asked for but at least shows how the temporary north stand was replaced.

IMG_4408.jpeg

Doesn’t tell you everything you’ve asked for but at least shows how the temporary north stand was replaced.

View attachment 102705
Yes that is interesting, can see the pre done Colin Bell.stand minus the seats whereas the North Stand is just banked up without steps. Suppose they had to match up.the concourse in the North Stand on levels 1 and 2 as well. Thx

The running track was on top of the already constructed now 1st tier ! The open end which became the North Stand was purposely left open to allow the site access for the equipment to finish the stadium to be converted into the football ground ! The first tier is 4 meters below ground level.
The reason the North Stand was built later was mainly due to the length needed for field sports it did help with the logistics of removing the earth of course
The stadium was designed as a football stadium with temporary use for the games, very clever to use the local geography to enable the pitch to be 7 meters below the ground level, due to the water table being much lower The issue though is that it was specified as a 48k capacity with no provision to extend as at the time, deemed more than sufficient for the massive club we were with no idea, of course, of how colossal we would become.

View attachment 102705
I was working at the Arndale at the time of the running track being dug up. I was taking concrete samples to check the damage from the IRA bomb a few years earlier.
Me and my work pal got the job done fairly quickly each morning as the arndale wanted minimum disruption to the multi storey and Ground Floor shopping area, so most afternoons we were free to do as we pleased we went swimming, the cinema, Lake Windermere, Blackpool and one of the days popped over to COMs and did the 100m in full PPE and then had a good wander around it all internally, which wasn't much to look at all.
A Hi Vis gets you anywhere!
Back again a few months later for a 24 hour concrete pour on the new stand with a Rag telling me that stadium was too big and too good for us. He also said when they signed Rooney City could never do that. He has retired now, I still ring him every now again to rip him to shreds.

Another charge then for playing on a pitch 4m below ground level when PL rules stipulate a max depth of 3.99m

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.