North Stand Expansion

Level two has been designated for upgrade, Joe & 89:20 for eg, for a few years and probably some of the higher prices in the Stadium. Can't see it being changed into cheaper standing areas.

As far as I’m aware there aren’t any final plans to turn the new second tier into a 93:20 style stand. There are images that show that the front rows might be, but no one actually knows yet. There’s 8,000 seats - not a chance they’ll all be corporate.

From what I remember the plans also say level 2 can be turned into safe standing as well.

The NS is currently set much further back. As you say, City Square is just a relatively small stage with plenty of access either side of it.

What are the tram queues like now? Have they improved? There used to be a lot of complaints about them.

I stand in SSL1, so I never go back into town from the NS side of the Etihad.
This seems to vary. It’s a longer narrower queue as it goes back towards the East car park. You have to navigate through people travelling against you. I miss my pints in City square to let the queues go down

This seems to vary. It’s a longer narrower queue as it goes back towards the East car park. You have to navigate through people travelling against you. I miss my pints in City square to let the queues go down

The hotel, bars, museum, if it’s open, and souvenir shop will absorb some of the fans leaving the NS at full time.

I‘m really looking forward to using the Coop Live Arena bar and seating next to the canal in the short Spring and Summer months of the season.

I really hope the the fanzone, and more so City Hall, have a Mackie Mayor and Diecast feel about them, rather than an Arndale and Trafford Centre food and drinks court feel about them. I want something different and exciting that wants to make me go there, and makes me spend my money before and after the match. As it is I drink in town before the match and go back into town after the match. Make it interesting, different, serve good food and beer, and I’ll drink and eat at the ground either before or after the match or possibly both? I do like drinking and eating in town. There’s so much choice, and so many good bars, pubs, and restaurants. It’s up to City to match or better that offering pre and post match.

Time for another ShinaDigger Pale Ale. :-)

Last edited:
Japan, China, France, Spain, Germany etc can always fund and build large national and local transport infrastructure projects, yet the UK can’t. And if the UK can, they always go over budget and take decades to be completed.
Spain did build an impressive high speed rail network but they had real problems. When the financial crash of 2008 hit, Spain ended up with several newly constructed but unopened airports and tram systems that remained unopened. Ireland and Portugal also overstretched on infrastructure projects.

I agree that the HS2 has been totally bungled. It appears that we will get a high speed link from Old Oak Common to Birmingham Curzon Street. It will save at most half an hour on the journey. For many this will be swallowed up by the trip from Euston to Old Oak Common. The only benefit of HS2 would come with longer journeys to Manchester and Leeds.

Now we will appear to be stuck with a crumbling rail infrastructure. That will probably mean continual weekend closures for 15 years or more. Best on luck trying to get to football matches by train.

This government is clearly in its death throes so all may not be lost yet. But don’t hold your breath!

Spain did build an impressive high speed rail network but they had real problems. When the financial crash of 2008 hit, Spain ended up with several newly constructed but unopened airports and tram systems that remained unopened. Ireland and Portugal also overstretched on infrastructure projects.

I agree that the HS2 has been totally bungled. It appears that we will get a high speed link from Old Oak Common to Birmingham Curzon Street. It will save at most half an hour on the journey. For many this will be swallowed up by the trip from Euston to Old Oak Common. The only benefit of HS2 would come with longer journeys to Manchester and Leeds.

Now we will appear to be stuck with a crumbling rail infrastructure. That will probably mean continual weekend closures for 15 years or more. Best on luck trying to get to football matches by train.

This government is clearly in its death throes so all may not be lost yet. But don’t hold your breath!

A bit dated, 2022. But a decent read about China’s HSR system.

Construction of the 815-kilometer, $13.5 billion Zhengzhou East-Wangzhou line was completed in less than five years.

HSR train Depo.

AE4E269F-3DE8-47A8-877E-EFDBA6BEB8AF.jpeg

Our Metrolink depo in Trafford. (apologies for the big turd in the top right of the picture)

5FFF1620-357E-4F2E-853D-4ECD6294720D.jpeg

EAF557BD-9384-497C-A691-9E5AF3F4A100.jpeg

Do the current plans enable people in the lower tier to still be able to walk in the lower tier concourse from East stand to colin bell stand, like we do now - or does it look like the interior North stand area will be fenced/walled off (similar to how you currently can't walk past the tunnel club to the far end of the Colin bell stand/to the South stand?)

I'm east 102 but like that pre match I can walk inside the North concourse to the Colin bell stand area for a change/drink/gossip ;)

Manchester Plaza
Manchester Place
Manchester Galleria
Backyard
Blue Deck
Blue Plaza
Etihad Atrium
Blue Terrace
Treble Court
Premier Patio
Legends Court
Ardwick Atrium

It will be interesting to see how the club manages 12,000 fans leaving the North stand after the match in such a tight and congested area with the stand and fanzone basically backing on to the Metrolink tram station (queues) and Joe Mercer way.

IMG-0165.png[img]
Could also be a gig on at the arena with even more arriving or already there using the facilities in City Sq

Best option would be to widen the bridge as much as possible

Could also be a gig on at the arena with even more arriving or already there using the facilities in City Sq

Best option would be to widen the bridge as much as possible
Pretty clever in my opion those in know rush to get home who may me going into Manchaster anyway may well decide to stay in the new plaza till the rush dies down ! Some definitely did this in Summerbee's in the past !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.