Norwich v City: Pre-match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Please No Tinkering Tomorrow.

Isn't putting Yaya for NDJ tinkering :-)

Same eleven please that started Wednesday night. Get Yaya totally fit for Derby don't need him for Norwich or Wolves on the bench please at best.

No tinkering other than to swap someone out to fit Yaya on the bench if he's fit (what an impact player!).

I want the high-tempo tippy tappy (sorry if I've knicked that phrase) football we saw on Wednesday. Get Barry and DJ to do the hard graft in front of Vinnie and Jlo, allowing Micah and Clichy to bomb forward. Let the 4 amigo's do their thing and we'll win!

Jumanji said:
----------------------Hart------------------
Richards---Kompany---Lescott----Clichy
-----------------Barry---Toure-------------
--------Silva---------------------Nasri------
---------------Aguero----Tevez------------

I go with that

Didsbury Dave said:
Dax777 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
If I see Kolorov and/or Zabaleta at fullback I'll scream
\I am sorry, but Zabaleta has been the best fullback City has had this season. I know no one wants to say it, and sure Micah brings an attacking edge like no other in the league. But play for play, no fullback in the league has beena s good as Zabaletta on all fronts.

Better passer, better interchange player, better reader of the game, better tackler, better defender. Tactially non of our fullbacks have been half the player Zaba has been, and that is no disrespect to the other 3 who have been fantastic this year and form a 4some of uur most consistent position. But of all 4, Zabaletta is the absolute best.

-- Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:39 am --

That said, start with the same 11 and bring in Yaya if need be later.
Zabaleta is a battler and can deliver in a high pressure game when we are under the cosh. But he gives us nothing going forward and that matters with our narrow system, playing teams on the edge of their own box.

Richards is better in every dept.

Richards has explosive speed. That I agree. But as a player overall, Zaba is the better fullback. And it is a fallacy, the idea that Zab gives us nothing going forward. Once City possesses the ball, Micah has a penchant for running all the way forward until he is in line with the last defender, and hangs there hoping for a thru ball he can latch on to. This often leaves a void on the right side during build up and caused defensive commotion if we lose possession before the ball finally gets to him.
Zaba on the other hand develops with the play, holds his wing, and matriculates forward in line with the flow of the game. You would seldom find Zaba hanging out on the last man for 2 - 3 minutes like Micah does hoping for a thruball. Instead, Zaba waits for an overlap play to develop and then makes the overlap run looking for a pass in stride. The final pass has often been awful or not made. And you see him in many games looking frustratingly at Johnson, Milner or a Striker when they fail to make the key pass.

Zaba's overall addition to the build up is greatly underrated here. Micah's penetration are clearly more dangerous than any other city player because of his speed. But Zaba is a better overall footballer. He has more touches in a game when he plays, coz he understands positioning better (and I am talking offensively here), he puts in more crosses per game, coz his movement is superior. He is a better defender (positioning and tackling). Micah is better against punts and has game changing speed on offense. But the better footballer,both statistically and when you watch them play and do their jobs is Zaba.

Folks need to stop attributing Zaba's intelligent play to effort. Yes he gives effort, but he is so much more than that.

Re: Re: Please No Tinkering Tomorrow.

Pam said:
hgblue said:
de niro said:
agreed, its away so keep it tight for a bit, sick of losing on the road.

This is the classic mistake that we've been making this season, and why we've struggled away from home of late. Start of the season we were playing without fear and ripping teams to shreads. Back to that system, with Yaya alongside Barry, Micah and Clichy bombing on, and Tevez in the hole behind Aguero, with Silva and Nasri either side of him, and we'll tear Norwich a fresh one.

Utterly agree.
I like what I read. If Roberto can make the lads believe, they will be unstoppable.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Feed-The-Goat said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Dax777 said:
\I am sorry, but Zabaleta has been the best fullback City has had this season. I know no one wants to say it, and sure Micah brings an attacking edge like no other in the league. But play for play, no fullback in the league has beena s good as Zabaletta on all fronts.

Better passer, better interchange player, better reader of the game, better tackler, better defender. Tactially non of our fullbacks have been half the player Zaba has been, and that is no disrespect to the other 3 who have been fantastic this year and form a 4some of uur most consistent position. But of all 4, Zabaletta is the absolute best.

-- Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:39 am --

That said, start with the same 11 and bring in Yaya if need be later.
Zabaleta is a battler and can deliver in a high pressure game when we are under the cosh. But he gives us nothing going forward and that matters with our narrow system, playing teams on the edge of their own box.

For me Zabby is as good defending as Richards is attacking, and therefore cancel each other out. Not saying Richards cant defend, as we all know the boy is brilliant, and Zabs on his day is very good going forward, just lacks the pace.

but..

Im just thankful we have both of them to discuss about, i wouldnt change them for anyone in the world.
It seems by 'attacking" folks are only considering the final burst of pace involved before latching on to a final pass. If that is all there was to attacking as a fullback, then yes Micah is better at that. But attacking involves possession before you get to the edge. designed interplay between teammates to create an opening. Timed overlaps, crossing e.t.c. In all those areas, Zaba is infinitely superior to Micah. He is also a better player technically. He passes better controls the ball better, moves better and sees the field better. I will still give Micah an edge offensively coz he causes undue commotion when he gets a head of steam, but Zaba is quite close if you consider all the other areas of offensive input he adds to the game.

Dax777 said:
Feed-The-Goat said:
Didsbury Dave said:

For me Zabby is as good defending as Richards is attacking, and therefore cancel each other out. Not saying Richards cant defend, as we all know the boy is brilliant, and Zabs on his day is very good going forward, just lacks the pace.

but..

Im just thankful we have both of them to discuss about, i wouldnt change them for anyone in the world.
It seems by 'attacking" folks are only considering the final burst of pace involved before latching on to a final pass. If that is all there was to attacking as a fullback, then yes Micah is better at that. But attacking involves possession before you get to the edge. designed interplay between teammates to create an opening. Timed overlaps, crossing e.t.c. In all those areas, Zaba is infinitely superior to Micah. He is also a better player technically. He passes better controls the ball better, moves better and sees the field better. I will still give Micah an edge offensively coz he causes undue commotion when he gets a head of steam, but Zaba is quite close if you consider all the other areas of offensive input he adds to the game.

Im not disagreeing with you mate, as im just glad we have them both, like i said i wouldnt replace either of them with anyone in world football.

They are both equally important to our club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.