Not the best game ever, not the worst, but the most "City"..

Whaley Bridge said:
Walsall away 1989:

City cruising promotion yet 2-0 down against relegation certainties. Dibble carried off and replaced by Gleghorn: City roar back to a 3-2 lead and victory looks certain when Moulden is brought down for a late penalty. McNab misses and Walsall equalise after a daft backpass from David Oldfied.

What mad game....Packed into the away end terrace behind the goal full of pissed up, Banana waving blues...2nil down in classic city away style, i decide its prob a good moment to vist the bogs,on the basis that things couldn,t get any worse...i fight my way through the crowd there and back,only to discover that things are a whole lot worse...Dibble is laid out flat on the turf,...er,2nil down,away from home with your keeper carried off...oh great. Full credit to Gleghorn tho,did himself proud as sub goalie.

macca-mcfc-flc said:
Bournemouth at home last home game off the season in 89,3 nil up at half time,they get a pen in the 95min to make it 3-3.
Luckly we drew at Bradford the next week to go up.

This one sticks out...Remember waiting at the metal gates in the kippax to try get on the pitch till that penalty went in...blisset i think,not sure tho,then threatening to give a schoolmate a good hiding coz he supported oldham and had a swell head!

Best"city" wasn`t a game it was in the 12 hour queue for `99 wembley tickets.Unforgettable.Any phone rang the answer was"I`m in the Kippax".Was just a long but funny 12 hours that could only happen at our place.

2 games from the same season spring to mind. A couple of weeks after the Huddersfield 10-1 we played Plymouth (i think) in some shite cup competition. We were 6-2 up with 10 mins left and were getting hammered. It looked like we were going to cock it up.
Same season a FA cup game against Huddersfield away. 2 months earlier we stuck 10 past them but were getting beat 2-1 when one of their players tries to kill time by taking the ball into the corner. Neil McNab got a little pissed off and just took his legs from underneath him and got sent off. We ended up equalising in the last minute.

DD said:
The end of the 88-89 season has never known anything more "pure City".

Seven or eight games to go. We go to Walsall second in the league whilst they haven't won in 20 odd games and are rock bottom. We go 2-0 down then have Andy Dibble taken off. Nigel Gleghorn goes in goal and within the space of four minutes we have gone 3-2 up and then miss a penalty. With a couple of minutes left a ridiculous back pass from David Oldfield and it's a 3-3 draw.

Four games to go. Away to Oxford and a disastrous run had seen us throw almost certain promotion away and 2-0 down at half time, and it could have been more, and only the most optimistic saw anything bar the Play-Offs. In the second half we came out and blitzed them. 4-2. We're going up!

Three games to go. A win against Palace will see us nine points ahead of them with only three games left for them to play. We're winning 1-0, then Andy Dibble gets injured and Nigel Gleghorn goes in goals again. Palace hump us in the second half but we get away with a 1-1 draw.

Two games to go. If City better Palace's result we go up. By half time, Palace are 1-0 down and City are 3-0 up. The beach ball was flying around, it was party central. No-one bothered to tell us that Palace were winning by now as the party continued with cheers for Bournemouth's first goal and even a few for their second. In the last seconds, Leicester equalised against Palace meaning our win would take us up. However, in the 97th minute Andy Hinchcliffe brought down Luther Blissett, who banged in the penalty and it was 3-3. I've never felt so devastated. Even though we only needed a point from the last game (perhaps not even that), people were just sat on the Kippax crying buckets. The only consolation is that if Palace hadn't conceded at the death also, we'd have needed to win at Bradford.

Last game. Palace had won 1-0 in midweek against Stoke, meaning it would go down to the wire. If City won or drew, we were up. If we lost 1-0, Palace had to win 5-0 to overtake us. Their game was delayed for fifteen minutes due to crowd congestion and by the half hour mark in our game, we were 1-0 down and at the same time, fifteen minutes into their game, they were 4-0 up. How bloody typical City was all this! Despite battering them throughout the second half, with three minutes to go in our game, the scores were both the same, although rumours were flying about that it was 5-0 at Palace, and someone ran on the pitch to tell Paul Lake so. However, all ended well as Trevor Morley popped up to score and after about five agonising minutes of stoppage time, we'd got the draw we needed. As it happens, Palace, stung by the news of our equaliser, only won 4-1, but who knows whether or not that would have been the case if they had heard we had lost.

There will never be another set of games that summed up the phrase "typical City" more! :)

possibly the best post i've ever read on here.

LongsightM13 said:
Remember that Huddersfield cup tie. John Gidman from outside the box with virtually the last kick of the game. Cue absolute fucking pandemonium

I remeber that game vividly. I recall some one getting carted out of the stands for trying to leg up their winger with a set of crutches as he sped past.

Also as Gidman lined up the freekick i shouted as loud as i could ' Dont let that red bastard take it'..................as you say cue pandemonium and pissing taking out of me from my mates for years.

Also if i am correct in the next round we played blackpool away and scored an equaliser in the 95th minute with the bext goalmouth scramble i have ever seen...................and then there really was pandemonium in 2 sides of the ground !!

Happy days !

Burnley away last season. 6-1 up and the heavens opened thankfully the match wasnt called off, but it would be typical city to win 6-1 but get nowt for it. Feared the worst I really did and felt sick at the same time haha

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.