Nottingham Forest (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

I think most people judge it on what the result would be if we played Pep's Barca and view Messi as the key difference that wins the game for them. But in terms of overall results and achievements, considering La Liga doesn't have the competitiveness of the prem, I'd say what Pep has achieved with City suggests we're the better side. Last season's was the best from a success perspective, but I don't know which City side I'd pick as his best. The style of football in our 100 point season was probably my favourite.
The stark thing for me is I saw several things in those matches that today's Pep would've gone bonkers about.

I saw patterns of play both defensively & offensively that were primitive compared to how Pep's City play. I was seriously shocked & taken aback, as I just watched the series out of interest, & not really with the intention of comparing City.

However, it was difficult not to draw comparisons. I'm a hard person to please & convince, so I looked at the programme as a football lover, not a City fan & I could draw no other conclusion. Manchester City 2017-2023 are the best footballing side I've ever seen, & I'll happily stand by that. With or without a Pele, Maradona, Messi or Cryuff.

Edit: We did have a Goat in previous iterations though... :-)

That's something I'm concerned about as well with Doku. He's generally made his mind up before he gets the ball. It's either getting passed to someone or he's going to run with it. And often he runs with it and only spots the pass a few touches too late when it's closed up or he's lost the ball. You'd hope in time and in training he can be coached to be better.

Ultimately it's as simple as thinking what he wants the end result to be. He's trying to make something happen, and he has to learn that by beating one man and attacking another he's probably already done that. So do the initial dribble then immediately spot the space and learn the movements of your team mates and the patterns of play. You don't need to carry it into the box then shoot, or look for a pass at that stage.
I think you summed it up much better than me mate, he is quite obviously a talent and maybe it's that first year with Pep thing. If anyone can coach him it's Pep, I like the kid and he is clearly more effective when he does things instinctively.

I think you summed it up much better than me mate, he is quite obviously a talent and maybe it's that first year with Pep thing. If anyone can coach him it's Pep, I like the kid and he is clearly more effective when he does things instinctively.

He's still so young with a lot to learn so I think he can be coached. He was perhaps victim of his early success with us where his direct approach was making things happen and getting us out of our seats. He's had to work quite hard to be as effective, but I'm sure he can get better.

If Grealish could rediscover some of Doku's flair (which he had at Villa) and Doku some of Grealish's control then we'd have the perfect wingers!

I don’t think that matters to an opposition manager and team. They are professionals. They will want to win. They will want to beat City.

Not once did I ever think about not trying or throwing a game when I played football.

All this nonsense about Spurs throwing the game because Spurs fans don’t want Arsenal to win the title is exactly that, just nonsense.

Spurs may still have a chance of a CL place when they play us. They have 2 games on hand against Villa, and are 7 points behind Vilaa. Still all to play for, even for Spurs.

Note all the green ticks for City compared to the red and grey ticks for the other top 5 teams. Pep and City have been here before and know how to handle the title run in pressure.

View attachment 116612

there will be a huge number of fans in that ground who won't want a spurs win, that will transmit to the team, the build up to the game, it will become the narrative, rightly or wrongly

Firstly, respect to Forest - they had a go, played some high risk footy and carved out a few great chances, but ultimately we eventually got a grip of the game and won without being at our best. Kev's op has allowed him to play like a tiger - tenacity - a warrior to go with the sublime skill. I'll take a less than perfect performance with a win, have a week's break from games and start afresh against Wolves. To listen to TalkSHITE, you'd think it was Arsenal that have their destiny in their own hands......

there will be a huge number of fans in that ground who won't want a spurs win, that will transmit to the team, the build up to the game, it will become the narrative, rightly or wrongly
Im sure but stand to be corrected that we played Leeds at home at Maine Road when they were going head to head with United for the league. We beat them 4-0 so I don’t think it comes into players heads about the result. Spurs will want to beat us no doubt about it .

And Peter Drury - a very fair minded and normally good commentator (maybe a bit too flowery at times) who definitely isn't anti-us, had a very bad day at the office - he must have confused Kev and Jack six or seven times before he acknowledged his mistake. I'll let him off. As for Smith who is making a career out of shouting 'That's a pen!!' (against us), he always manages to sound like a 90 year-old Mrs Miggins in the fish shop 'Ooh, he's done ever so well...' He's not the only one who uses that old lady phrase - they're all at it - Shearer the lot.

Im sure but stand to be corrected that we played Leeds at home at Maine Road when they were going head to head with United for the league. We beat them 4-0 so I don’t think it comes into players heads about the result. Spurs will want to beat us no doubt about it .

Exactly. Their players aren't Spurs fans and won't give a fuck what they want. They are professionals and once the whistle goes they will go all out for a win.

I think most people judge it on what the result would be if we played Pep's Barca and view Messi as the key difference that wins the game for them. But in terms of overall results and achievements, considering La Liga doesn't have the competitiveness of the prem, I'd say what Pep has achieved with City suggests we're the better side. Last season's was the best from a success perspective, but I don't know which City side I'd pick as his best. The style of football in our 100 point season was probably my favourite.
Sorry but whilst City are one of the best PL sides ever, that peak Barca side is the best club team ever. I don't think City are near that level - I mean just look at the midfield that Barca side had for a start. And Messi is the GOAT, no team could stop him when he was at it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.