Nottingham Forest (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Sorry but whilst City are one of the best PL sides ever, that peak Barca side is the best club team ever. I don't think City are near that level - I mean just look at the midfield that Barca side had for a start. And Messi is the GOAT, no team could stop him when he was at it.
Don’t agree with that.
Barcelona had Messi. Good players around him, some of them great but ultimately Messi was the driving force. Pep says it himself, the instructions were just give the ball to Messi and he will do the rest.
The level of consistency we have achieved in the past 5 years without a GOAT but with many great players for me is the hallmark of a better team.
But it’s just my view…

Sorry but whilst City are one of the best PL sides ever, that peak Barca side is the best club team ever. I don't think City are near that level - I mean just look at the midfield that Barca side had for a start. And Messi is the GOAT, no team could stop him when he was at it.
Messi is no Shaun Goater!

I thought the very same until I saw an El Classico match, the CL final vs ManUre & another La Liga match.

When I compared the City team of 2-3 years ago, it's only then that I realised how good we actually were in comparison to Pep's best at Barça. Messi included...

Guardiola has rewritten the book on how football should be played, & he's proved his theory in the toughest & richest football league in history, & again proved his point in Europe too.

I honestly don't think we really fully appreciate the gravity of what we're witnessing happening with Manchester City right now.

It's why it also does my head in when City fans keep speculating on when Pep's going to leave. We know he likes short two year contract renewals, & if he did leave, leave & go where? Where will he get the level of competition, support & love that he gets at the Etihad?

We're truly witnessing something special & I don't think it will fully dawn on everyone how special until years after these halcyon days.

I thought the very same until I saw an El Classico match, the CL final vs ManUre & another La Liga match.

When I compared the City team of 2-3 years ago, it's only then that I realised how good we actually were in comparison to Pep's best at Barça. Messi included...

Guardiola has rewritten the book on how football should be played, & he's proved his theory in the toughest & richest football league in history, & again proved his point in Europe too.

I honestly don't think we really fully appreciate the gravity of what we're witnessing happening with Manchester City right now.

It's why it also does my head in when City fans keep speculating on when Pep's going to leave. We know he likes short two year contract renewals, & if he did leave, leave & go where? Where will he get the level of competition, support & love that he gets at the Etihad?

We're truly witnessing something special & I don't think it will fully dawn on everyone how special until years after these halcyon days.
Re Pep I think when he leaves it will be because he needs a break as that job is intense, demanding and stressful and not to go somewhere else.

Re what you said, well when I think about it I do think of the City side vs some of the truly great Rags and Arsenal sides of the past and player for player I'm not sure City are better (for example have City ever had a player better than CR7, Giggs or Henry?) but in terms of the tactical approach and sheer domination of games then I do think what we are seeing in the PL is unprecedented. I do think that peak Barca side is different gravy though. It's not just Messi - Xavi and Iniesta are all time greats in the middle of the park as well.

That proves the point really. Your impression of them being the best club team ever is on the fact they had Messi and won things. In time people will maybe give more respect for the individuals we've had at City. Rodri is outstanding. Stones completing the most dribbles in a CL final since Messi as a hybrid CB/DM. Gundogan's fluid brilliance. De Bruyne. Haaland. So many more. Walker pocketing Vinicius and still not making the starting 11 for the CL final. De Bruyne coming off injured and Foden coming in but we still won it. If you look into our achievements in comparison to theirs I don't think it's as clear cut. You beat that peak Barca in the CL at home. They lost games in the league and cup. Weaker competitions than ours.

Whilst we've only won the CL once, we hadn't lost a game up until the final against Chelsea and then went unbeaten again to win it last time out. We play in a harder domestic league with an extra cup competition, with scheduling that doesn't give a toss about what other games you have to play and pack them in.

Anyway, we weren't great against Forest but job done!

Re Pep I think when he leaves it will be because he needs a break as that job is intense, demanding and stressful and not to go somewhere else.

Re what you said, well when I think about it I do think of the City side vs some of the truly great Rags and Arsenal sides of the past and player for player I'm not sure City are better (for example have City ever had a player better than CR7, Giggs or Henry?) but in terms of the tactical approach and sheer domination of games then I do think what we are seeing in the PL is unprecedented. I do think that peak Barca side is different gravy though. It's not just Messi - Xavi and Iniesta are all time greats in the middle of the park as well.

Again, if you want to go player for player then you might see things differently. What was Ronaldo's best season for the rags? Henry's? Giggs?

Ronaldo 42 in 49. Henry 39 in 51. Giggs 17 in 58.

Some guy called Haaland bagged 52 in 53.

There's more to it than goals, but we could list plenty of stats to prove how incredible our players have been. Rodri and De Bruyne aren't bad. Walker's probably the most highly regarded RB in the world, yet didn't start the CL final for us because we needed something different.

Again, if you want to go player for player then you might see things differently. What was Ronaldo's best season for the rags? Henry's? Giggs?

Ronaldo 42 in 49. Henry 39 in 51. Giggs 17 in 58.

Some guy called Haaland bagged 52 in 53.

There's more to it than goals, but we could list plenty of stats to prove how incredible our players have been. Rodri and De Bruyne aren't bad. Walker's probably the most highly regarded RB in the world, yet didn't start the CL final for us because we needed something different.
Well it's always hard to judge teams of a different era with today. I think the main difference that City may have over the others is tactical excellence. If you look at (as an example) one of the great Arsenal teams of the past you had a lot of flair players like Bergkamp, Henry, Pires etc who could beat players and turn a match, supported by a tough central midfield (led by Vieira) and a strong defence. The players rather than the tactics did the job as most top sides just played 4-4-2 in that era.

Today it's the tactical awareness and intelligence of the City team that make just as much of an impact as the skill levels of the players themselves. The coach is on a different level which is why I think you could take players like Silva, stick them in the Chelsea side with Pochettino and he'd be nowhere near as effective. But then you get players coming in like Kovacic who weren't exactly setting the world on fire at Chelsea but who is tactically astute and has really added something to your midfield.

So for me Pep is the biggest differentiator. I genuinely think if he was managing us we'd have won the league. Arteta is up and coming and learning fast but Pep is the daddy and once he gets players who can buy into his tactics and are smart enough to use them then you get amazing results with players who improve significantly.

Don’t agree with that.
Barcelona had Messi. Good players around him, some of them great but ultimately Messi was the driving force. Pep says it himself, the instructions were just give the ball to Messi and he will do the rest.
The level of consistency we have achieved in the past 5 years without a GOAT but with many great players for me is the hallmark of a better team.
But it’s just my view…
The little maestro is the key really. Leave him out and it's not a real argument but put him in and it's hard to argue that any team was or is better.

As Real found out during their Galactico period, having all the best players doesn't translate into having the best team.

I'll see if I can find which series it was again. It was on one of Sky's (Virgin Media) minor sport channels.

It's best others see footage of those legendary teams in big games, so they can relate them to City. I reckon more than a few will be surprised.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.