Oasis??

DirtyEddie said:
not a chance they are the best uk or even manc band ever. they were very much of their time. loved their first two albums when they were released, loooking back - not so much. im no massive beatles fan but they were hugely superior to oasis.

i look at oasis and i see a standard guitar band who did nothing new, i mean just look at their best song - cigarettes and alcohol - the riff is stolen from t-rex

Live Forever got voted best song ever and also best song in British history, Wonderwall and Champagne Supanova were in the top 10 of that too. And a bad who did nothing? How many hit singles have they had? If they had done nothing, why would they be still selling out world tours at this minute, including the far east?

This is going to sound stupid, but did The Beatles only stand out to be that good because of the kind of music they played? As it was the 60's, so it was a kind of new genre to people. No doubting there a hugely influential band though.

Fair enough though, not going to change what you think, but some people really do over look Oasis and just think there big because of there first 2 albums.

Manchester_lalala said:
This is going to sound stupid, but did The Beatles only stand out to be that good because of the kind of music they played? As it was the 60's, so it was a kind of new genre to people. No doubting there a hugely influential band though.

NO! The Beatles sound more modern and fresh than most bands these days. They will never be bettered.

The Smiths posses more intelligence, melody and meaning in one song than Oasis have in all their songs put together.

In my opinion of course ;)

Still got to respect Oasis though, a lot of people like them, so they obviously have an appeal. It's just not for me.

Manchester_lalala said:
Live Forever got voted best song ever and also best song in British history, Wonderwall and Champagne Supanova were in the top 10 of that too. And a bad who did nothing? How many hit singles have they had? If they had done nothing, why would they be still selling out world tours at this minute, including the far east?

Fair enough though, not going to change what you think, but some people really do over look Oasis and just think there big because of there first 2 albums.

to be perfectly honest public votes are virtually worthless, you might as well decide greatness by number of singles sold which would be this list <a class="postlink" href="http://www.listology.com/list/uk-all-time-best-selling-singles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.listology.com/list/uk-all-ti ... ng-singles</a> and im sure you'll agree theres a load of absolute shite in there

and i never said they did 'nothing', i said they did 'nothing new' which is entirely different. if you look at a different british band who came around at roughly the same time - super furry animals - they've done nine studio albums, they've always tried new things and mostly succeeded. they're a better band than oasis in my opinion even though they've sold fewer albums/singles. they're also much better live than oasis are.

oasis are a run of the mill guitar band. theres nothing wrong with that, but lets no pretend they're especially tallented or innovative.

Manchester_lalala said:
DirtyEddie said:
not a chance they are the best uk or even manc band ever. they were very much of their time. loved their first two albums when they were released, loooking back - not so much. im no massive beatles fan but they were hugely superior to oasis.

i look at oasis and i see a standard guitar band who did nothing new, i mean just look at their best song - cigarettes and alcohol - the riff is stolen from t-rex

Some people might overlook them, but some people highly over-rate them too. I thought Be Here Now was their best to be honest, the first two were alright, but some of their best work was thrown into B-Sides (Masterplan, Aquisce, Sad Song...)

How old are ya? Not trying to offend, but I think age comes down to a lot of it. If you're late 20's, like me, then we were in secondary school in the mid 90's and it was all top and I was big on them back in the day, but when I listen to them now, it sounds a bit samey and stale. First time I saw them live was at Wembley and they had peaked in my opinion...

Don't care for The Beatles myself, but they are quite superior in terms of fresh and original. The Smiths all the way, but I'm a fan boy ;)

DirtyEddie said:
Manchester_lalala said:

to be perfectly honest public votes are virtually worthless, you might as well decide greatness by number of singles sold which would be this list <a class="postlink" href="http://www.listology.com/list/uk-all-time-best-selling-singles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.listology.com/list/uk-all-ti ... ng-singles</a> and im sure you'll agree theres a load of absolute shite in there

and i never said they did 'nothing', i said they did 'nothing new' which is entirely different. if you look at a different british band who came around at roughly the same time - super furry animals - they've done nine studio albums, they've always tried new things and mostly succeeded. they're a better band than oasis in my opinion even though they've sold fewer albums/singles. they're also much better live than oasis are.

oasis are a run of the mill guitar band. theres nothing wrong with that, but lets no pretend they're especially tallented or innovative.

They got voted it in the Que awards. And only recently got announced by NME that they are the best British band, and they have been around since the early 90's. Super furry animals, who are they lmfao? And the amount of quality B-sides Oasis have is pretty good tbh. Fair enough mate, its your style, and am not going to argue over that. Just think some people over look Oasis for shitty bands like Kings of Leon and The Kooks. Now they are two poor bands!

OOHBEBLUE said:
'Run of the mill guitar band' Who have sold nearly 70 MILLION records! ......
since when has number of albums sold correlate with the quality of the music?

There have been many good Manchester bands , but one of the greatest bands the world has ever known spent their very early days here in Chorlton ......

The Bee Gees ... true legends.

More than 200 million records shifted puts these guys in a different league.

33a8oz8.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.