Official: City Sign Roberts from Fulham

It'll always be so. We will always have a blend of players who have come through the academy from being youngsters, emerging potential we have bought in from other clubs and top players who are deemed to be at the level we need to come straight into the first team. I don't think there is an academy in the world that can provide it's first team with all the players they will ever need exclusively.

Good post. I would just add that we have woken up to selling on good academy players who don't quite make the first team for decent money and / or sell on clauses.

The Club attracting more numbers of talented academy players will hopefully pay for themselves in future!

May I add us buying these 3 young and obvious talented players. Is it because we can't deliver these from the academy? Is it more competition between young and coming players? Is it because we can't develop all youngsters in the academy so we need to buy them? Is it because the media says our squad is too old with many on here copying this opinion? Or do I miss something ...
Academies are no different from the senior squad. If they see a great player at another academy, they'll try and bring him in. Some get bought at a younger age than others, but not many top players are genuinely trained at a single club's youth system. Look at some of our most successful examples:

Shaun Wright-Phillips - from Forest
Micah Richards - from Oldham
Sir Joseph of Barton - from Everton
Stephen Ireland - from Cobh
Daniel Sturridge - from Coventry
Nedum Onuoha - Man City original
Kieran Trippier - Man City original

Admittedly most of those were brought in at a much younger age than Roberts, but it seems that a successful academy is as much about successful scouting of youth as it is about training them. Hence why the academy at Barcelona does so well. Because they can guarantee that even kids initially trained outside their system have probably been getting good quality coaching. The same can't be said in England, hence why we don't produce as many technically gifted players, and why it's foolish to expect one academy, however amazing, to make a world class England team for you.

But given how few players make it to the very top level, it doesn't hurt to get as many talented players as possible.

We were poor defending set pieces as a team.

Good to see we bought 3 tall players to help out.

I was laughed at when mentioning this guy a few months back (before he was linked to the club)

Great talent, now Patrick needs to get his head down and work his socks of.

Good post. I would just add that we have woken up to selling on good academy players who don't quite make the first team for decent money and / or sell on clauses.

The Club attracting more numbers of talented academy players will hopefully pay for themselves in future!
We had a brief exchange on here yesterday about this. As always some agreed and some disagreed. My opinion is that the sales of academy players that don't make the grade are integral to the financial calculations of the academy. We will uncover the occasional gem but most will be sold on to teams further down the food chain for a profit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.