Official Euro 2012 Final thread: Mario Vs Merlin

prairiemoon said:
taconinja said:
blueinsa said:
Balo is petulant and spent 90 mins kicking and elbowing people according to the turkey necked fuckwit!
US television has been very complimentary to Balotelli today. Talked about his maturity and hard work and his very bright future.
Yes, because Nike want Mario to sell "soccer" to African Americans.
Yeah I'm sure that's Michael Ballack's concern. ;)

Caption/comment needed....

52_silva_1539834a.jpg

prairiemoon said:
Don't be surprised.

I blame Prandelli
ESPN doesn't care about Nike. ESPN cares about ratings. Personalities drive ratings. Balotelli is a personality. Alexi Lalas and Michael Ballack couldn't wait to sneer at him for most of the tournament. Just as easy if not easier to keep Balotelli as a villain for ratings. That wasn't what happened though.

taconinja said:
prairiemoon said:
Don't be surprised.

I blame Prandelli
ESPN doesn't care about Nike. ESPN cares about ratings. Personalities drive ratings. Balotelli is a personality. Alexi Lalas and Michael Ballack couldn't wait to sneer at him for most of the tournament. Just as easy if not easier to keep Balotelli as a villain for ratings. That wasn't what happened though.
As you like.

If you think ESPN doesn't care about Nike you are sorely mistaken.

I was wondering why, against a team with no strikers and who rarely use wing play, they played a flat back 4. I would have thought, with my limited tactical knowledge, a 3-5-2 with Pirlo staying deep (almost a mini diamond with Cassano playing central AM), would have allowed them to flood the midfield (potentially 6 italians in midfield with WBs) and pressure Spain more on the ball. It would also have given Pirlo a sideways route out instead of trying to pass a ball forward against a team with 6 in midfield......

Something like

.........CB......CB.....CB.......
WB.............................WB
...............Pirlo.................
....Rossi...........Montolivo....
..........Cassano................
...................Balotelli........

Probably wouldn't have won them the game against this spanish team (especially if they'd gone down to 10 men) but Pirlo was pressurised out of it and the striker were pretty isolated.

bluemoondays said:
I was wondering why, against a team with no strikers and who rarely use wing play, they played a flat back 4. I would have thought, with my limited tactical knowledge, a 3-5-2 with Pirlo staying deep (almost a mini diamond with Cassano playing central AM), would have allowed them to flood the midfield (potentially 6 italians in midfield with WBs) and pressure Spain more on the ball. It would also have given Pirlo a sideways route out instead of trying to pass a ball forward against a team with 6 in midfield......

Something like

.........CB......CB.....CB.......
WB.............................WB
...............Pirlo.................
....Rossi...........Montolivo....
..........Cassano................
...................Balotelli........

Probably wouldn't have won them the game against this spanish team (especially if they'd gone down to 10 men) but Pirlo was pressurised out of it and the striker were pretty isolated.
I was thinking similar, but 5 across the mid with defensive wingers stuffing Alba and Arbeola back.

What you've drawn is actually more a 5-3-2.

Prandellis formations surprised me throughout the tournament.

His subs were ridiculous. His team was tired and unfit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.