Official Villa post match reaction thread. {merged - trial}

FantasyIreland said:
Mancio said:
how many wingers barcelona and real madrid have ?

Irrelevant as they don't play with two/three pedestrian central midfielders.

right. then I would say that we need to improve the quality of our midfielders. de Jong and Barry in particular.

Mancio said:
FantasyIreland said:
Irrelevant as they don't play with two/three pedestrian central midfielders.

right. then I would say that we need to improve the quality of our midfielders. de Jong and Barry in particular.

Or rather,not play them both in the same team,instead bring in a player with PACE.

FantasyIreland said:
Mancio said:

Or rather,not play them both in the same team,instead bring in a player with PACE.

top teams usually dont have room in front of them becouse they live in the opposite half of the field. so they need class and creativity more than pace.

average teams often have room so they need paced players for break

Mancio said:
FantasyIreland said:

top teams usually dont have room in front of them becouse they live in the opposite half of the field. so they need class and creativity more than pace.

average teams often have room so they need paced players for break

Thats a good observation Mancio,the trouble with yesterdays set up was - it provided neither.

I feel the problem is tactical. Plus, Silva cannot be the only creative player in the team.
There was simply too much improvised forward play, long balls.
Passing and movement need to improve. The attackers rarely got a chance, Dzeko did better than Tevez, but you need 3 or 4 players to get involved in combinations to break down as compact a defense as Villa churned out last night.

byronic said:
I feel the problem is tactical. Plus, Silva cannot be the only creative player in the team.
There was simply too much improvised forward play, long balls.
Passing and movement need to improve. The attackers rarely got a chance, Dzeko did better than Tevez, but you need 3 or 4 players to get involved in combinations to break down as compact a defense as Villa churned out last night.

I believe if we are to get the best out of Tevez and Dzeko we need to play to our strengths,even if it means dropping certain players,yesterday it would have meant abandoning the 433 set up and switching back to a 442.

However,i'm not sure we have the players within our squad to play that system.

A team consisting of -

Johnno.. Silva... Milner... ?(Balo when fit ??)
............ Tev........ Dzeko......

Would,imo,have taken Villa apart yesterday,they were there for the taking but we were far too conservative.
Although not my ideal choice,and i'm thinking in terms of the best attainability to ability ratio,a player like Nzogbia would have been hugely beneficial yesterday.

frustrated as we all are, we had 20+ attempts at goal; how tevez missed that one from a yard out in the first half off Kola's corner, and how de jong's shot stayed out in the 2nd half, i don't know. we gave them a bad goal - Young shouldn't have been allowed to get his shot in.
if they hadn't got the relatively early goal, they wouldn't have been able to play a back6/7 for the rest of the game at home - they would have had to come out more, then we would have won - imho.
with a few little tweeks and a little more luck, we'll be fine. dzeko will be fantastic when he gets match fit and settles in. we aren't perfect, but we're getting there. just don't anyone complain about villa's park the bus tactics - we did it at the arse so we can't complain when it happens against us. utd won't do that at O.T. so roll on feb 12th.

its now in the past

scratch it off as a one off bad day......we dominated them but couldnt get through....silva wasnt quite upto speed and a few others werent at the races either.....

lets get balo back and then lets see what mancini does with 3 fit strikers....I cannt wait

It simply wasn't our day . We dominated possesion , dominated villa , they hardly ever caused us any problems apart from their fluke of a goal . But it has gone and we can't do anything about it. We played well in the second half and caused them numerous problems , but when de jong hit the post and Kolarov certain goal got deflected wide , I knew it was never going to come. First half we were lacklustre , but we were still the better team by a mile . Our retention of the ball is very good and on another day we would have converted the majority of the chances that we were presented with. Houllier even said they were fortunate to win the game, but you could tell they would after Bent scored , it was writing on the wall , you knew it would happen. But onwards and upwards , we didn't play badlybut like the game against Everton , we switch off for 30 seconds and give the ball away cheaply and you have lost the game. The defence was solid in my opinion, Boateng played much better , Kompany let nothing beyond him as did Kolo and Kolarov was our most potent threat yesterday . Tevez didn't have his best of game and could have scored , but there are points that irritate me when he could play a simple pass , yet he decides to go it all himself and lose it. In the wolves game he went alone and it payed off , but it wont happen every time and he just has to realise to play the ball elsewhere sometimes. Dzeko was not as involved but he had some nice touches and held the ball up well. But the stupid thing was that really annoyed me was the fact that in the second half , it seemed Dzeko went and played wide left . I don't know if this actually was the plan or he just drifted , but if he ws instructed to play there then that is a joke. There was one point where you had 6"4 Dzeko crossing to 5"6 Tevez and Silva . He is the striker and he should be in the area , not on the left. Johnson came on again and was our most attacking threat as everything when he came on , came from that right hand side. However , with AJ you always get more from him when he comes on as an impact sub. But as long as teams keep going to the swamp and the emirates and bending over willingly to let the rags and the arse win , we have no chance at the league . But I personally would be happy with 4th place and maybe a cup , and we can rectify this defeat with a victory next weekend at Notts County , CTID

simon23 said:
its now in the past

scratch it off as a one off bad day......we dominated them but couldnt get through....silva wasnt quite upto speed and a few others werent at the races either.....

lets get balo back and then lets see what mancini does with 3 fit strikers....I cannt wait

Well said Simon. It's done now. Onwards & Upwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.