Oil money and Arab money city

matty barton said:
Balti said:
A bit strange aint it considering that most clubs in the English Premier League (12 of the 20) are under foreign ownership/ control yet that hardly gets mentioned as much as it does with City:

Owners/ Majority shareholders:

Arsenil - yank/ russkie/ Iranian
Aston Villa - yank
Chelsea - russkie
Fulham - egyptian arab muslim
Liverpool - yanks
MCFC - uae
ManUre - yanks
QPR - malaysian
Reading - russkie
Southampton - swiss
Sunderland - yank
Swansea - bloody taffies! ;-) .... (the welsh are also infiltrating norwich and west ham......)

you'd think they'd be more worried about the amount of yanks in football lol

The best model there is Swansea. The fans own a large chunk of the club, and the powerbrokers on the board are locals with a genuine affection for the club. It seems to be working well for them.

In an ideal world I'd want similar for my club. Unfortunately thats not going to happen for any club already in foreign hands.

I'd prefer a Russian/Arab over an American profiteer and hope the vile Kroenke eventually sells his controlling stake in Arsenal to Alisher Usmanov.

We'd then be similar to you or Chavski in terms of being a rich man's toy. Not perfect, but it has to be preferable to being the personal piggy bank of a greedy Yank with no love for the club or the game. I suspect most Arsenal (as well as United and Liverpool) fans would agree.

Since when did Arsenal fans' preferences have any relevance to a CITY website?

Zabbasbeard said:
matty barton said:
Balti said:
A bit strange aint it considering that most clubs in the English Premier League (12 of the 20) are under foreign ownership/ control yet that hardly gets mentioned as much as it does with City:

Aston Villa - yank
Chelsea - russkie
Liverpool - yanks
MCFC - uae
ManUre - yanks
QPR - malaysian
Reading - russkie
Southampton - swiss
Sunderland - yank
Swansea - bloody taffies! ;-) .... (the welsh are also infiltrating norwich and west ham......)

The best model there is Swansea. The fans own a large chunk of the club, and the powerbrokers on the board are locals with a genuine affection for the club. It seems to be working well for them.

In an ideal world I'd want similar for my club. Unfortunately thats not going to happen for any club already in foreign hands.

I'd prefer a Russian/Arab over an American profiteer and hope the vile Kroenke eventually sells his controlling stake in Arsenal to Alisher Usmanov.

We'd then be similar to you or Chavski in terms of being a rich man's toy. Not perfect, but it has to be preferable to being the personal piggy bank of a greedy Yank with no love for the club or the game. I suspect most Arsenal (as well as United and Liverpool) fans would agree.

Relevant in a thread where a popular argument is ''people (other club's fans including Arsenal) hate us even more because not only does our owner shower us with oil money, but he is also a Muslim Arab''.

I'm pointing out that this is not entirely true, as many fans of my club would prefer if it were controlled by the Muslim Uzbeki/Russian Usmanov, rather than the white American Christian, Stan Kroenke.

Chelski and City are not primarily resented for the nationality/religion of their owners. They are resented, rightly or wrongly, because they have money pumped into them. Blackburn were hated by the establishment clubs when local Lancashire lad Jack Walker bought them the title. The only redeeming feature in most people's eyes was that,unlike Mansour or Abramovich, he was a local lad and genuine life long fan of his club.

Zabbasbeard said:
matty barton said:
Balti said:

Aston Villa - yank
Chelsea - russkie
Liverpool - yanks
MCFC - uae
ManUre - yanks
QPR - malaysian
Reading - russkie
Southampton - swiss
Sunderland - yank

I find it relevant in hearing from a supporter of another club, how we are viewed....

The Millionaires of Manchester City is the one that does my head in. How many Premier League footballers aren't millionaires?

The commentator on ESPN always say it.

matty barton said:
Zabbasbeard said:
matty barton said:

Relevant in a thread where a popular argument is ''people (other club's fans including Arsenal) hate us even more because not only does our owner shower us with oil money, but he is also a Muslim Arab''.

I'm pointing out that this is not entirely true, as many fans of my club would prefer if it were controlled by the Muslim Uzbeki/Russian Usmanov, rather than the white American Christian, Stan Kroenke.

Chelski and City are not primarily resented for the nationality/religion of their owners. They are resented, rightly or wrongly, because they have money pumped into them. Blackburn were hated by the establishment clubs when local Lancashire lad Jack Walker bought them the title. The only redeeming feature in most people's eyes was that,unlike Mansour or Abramovich, he was a local lad and genuine life long fan of his club.

If I want to read what Arsenal fans think I'll read "Opposition view" or an Arsenal fans' forum. There may be City fans who are bothered what Arsenal fans think about City, but I'm not interested personally. Your comments about what you prefer for your club ie Usmanov are not relevant to most Blues.

For what it's worth, we don't often experience hatred from other clubs' fans other than maybe rags and latterly some Arsenal fans. Other fans mght be jealous of the cash, but still prefer us to the Establishment clubs because we don't have the sense of entitlement that so pervades so many of the rags, Arsenal, Liverpool fans; and because City, Everton and Tottneham have shaken it up at the top to make it more interesting than the same old top four.

matty barton said:
Zabbasbeard said:
matty barton said:

a local lad and life long fans just like your kroenke, usmanov and farhad oshiri were no doubt

MCFCTrick said:
malg said:
Unfortunately it's a bit darker than jealousy and fear - and I think the op alluded to it. Plain and simple xenophobia.

I disagree. PSG's owners are Qatari and yet I don't see them mentioned in the same way by the media.

The press and media here certainly don't like City and our success, but for us to be playing the race card as the reason is simply sad.

well that's quiet true with medias ans the mass i feel there is a hate for city but i think it will chaange

for PSG i live in France and I can tell it could have been like CITY but the difference is that Qatar with BEinsport ( aljazeera sport) have 80% of the matches add to that all the business interests in France make all the medias talking 90% about PSG and most of time in a good way :) the club cannot talk badly because they know a part od thir revenue is from qatar :)

SteWadda said:
The Millionaires of Manchester City is the one that does my head in. How many Premier League footballers aren't millionaires?

The commentator on ESPN always say it.

thats because the majority of commentators always want us to loose, Tyler/Champion/Parry always have it in for us,

the only 2 who ever show us respect are Tydlesly and Neville.

Fuck me thats wrong.

Balti said:
matty barton said:
Zabbasbeard said:

a local lad and life long fans just like your kroenke, usmanov and farhad oshiri were no doubt

Pointless argument against what he has said. He is also right about Blackburn getting an easier ride because he was a local and more importantly English man

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Balti said:
matty barton said:

Pointless argument against what he has said. He is also right about Blackburn getting an easier ride because he was a local and more importantly English man

Different era. Ancient history. More than half the clubs in the league are now owned by foreigners. All the top clubs. Lots have had money pumped into them and have trod the same path as City for decades past now. 'Hated' by the establishment' he says and cites Blackburn/ Walker. So on this basis the 'establishment' will hate all such usurpers equally but slightly less if their owner is English according to his argument. Just that City have succeeded where many others have failed since Jack Walker who of course proved to be a one hit wonder anyhow and was soon financially outmuscled by the rags and others . The primary difference that I can see is that City have succeeded and threaten to continue in the same vein. it's a good thing for football that 'the establishment' don't like this of course and as fans most of us would not give a shit about who the establishment are or what they think anyway! The 'establishment' depends on the status quo for its own survival. Fuck that. I want a competition where radical change is always possible and not just a stale annual procession endorsed by 'the establishment'. If it's about nationality then this 'establishment' sounds like it's full of little Englanders who are unaware that their league is dominated by foreign players, foreign managers, and foreign owners. The good thing about such 'establishments' and their ethos of self-interest is that they can be swept aside be they clubs or governing bodies (see Football League for details). Their ''resentment'' or ''hatred'' is actually borne out of fear rather than racism I think. Long may it continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.