Old Maine Road photos thread

The 100 days of Maine Rd theme I’m doing has continued on my website. If you’ve not checked it out yet here’s a couple to whet the appetite:

The City F.C. Flag:

How close was Maine Rd to being bombed:

The 90s redevelopment plans:

Kippax segregation:

And the day Utd offered George Best to City:

I was a young 13 year old stood outside Maine road August 65 school holidays,had my autograph book signed by Ralph that day.Also the tunnel between the scoreboard end and Kippax I was stood above that for my first game in 62 v Birmingham,it was the night Glynn Pardoe made his debut aged just 15.

Good stuff.

Has anybody got any illustartions of the proposed stadium develpoment
The one where the new kippax stand runs right round
It looked exciting and impressive at the time
Think it was around 2001 ?

Has anybody got any illustartions of the proposed stadium develpoment
The one where the new kippax stand runs right round
It looked exciting and impressive at the time
Think it was around 2001 ?
That’s the one I refer to here:

Not seen that one before, as a kid I remember my Nan saying she had been to see Billy Graham at maine road, never really understood what it was all about in fact I think I asked her what position he played?
They put the first seats in the Platt Lane stand for his meetings. That gave City the idea.

Correct. It wasn’t an all-English team. It’s one of those myths that just won’t go away sadly. They also weren’t the first to win a European trophy and English trophy in same season - Leeds had already done that.

However, when City won the League Cup it was the first time all 92 clubs had entered the League Cup.
Point of order Gary… Leeds won The Fairs Cup, which wasn’t/ isn’t recognised by UEFA as a legitimate trophy.

Come on Gary, when Leeds won the Fairs Cup in ‘68 it was a tournament not organised or recognised by UEFA. There is a strong argument to claim City were the first club to win a European trophy and English trophy in the same season, and frankly, I will always claim that this is the case.
I’m with you on this. It was a tournament for ‘Cities’, not football clubs as such. London entered a team one year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.