Old Maine Road photos thread

Did we ever play an Anglo Scottish cup tie at Maine Road?
Not sure when we switched from the Texaco Cup to the Anglos Scottish Cup but we definitely played a few games at Maine Road circa 71-75
We drew 2-2 v Airdrie in 71-72, but the other games always seemed to be Blackpool/Oldham/Sheffield United

Not sure when we switched from the Texaco Cup to the Anglos Scottish Cup but we definitely played a few games at Maine Road circa 71-75
We drew 2-2 v Airdrie in 71-72, but the other games always seemed to be Blackpool/Oldham/Sheffield United
texaco cup Blackpool away...................mayhem

Yes - Eric Alexander revealed it to me during an interview. Swales becoming chairman and Niven being put in charge of stadium developments changed it all sadly.
Don't suppose any drawings / plans exist? Would love to see what that looked like.

YES it was.
but hey. it looks like a decent stadium
Got the colour image you mentioned and posted it here now:

Gary - Thats the one !!
Looks really impressive. I remember being really excited at the prospect .
Thanks Mate

What I don't get about this is, is that the Kippax they built had a third tier, so differs from this and looked higher than these plans??...so maybe they already had no intention of really doing it

What I don't get about this is, is that the Kippax they built had a third tier, so differs from this and looked higher than these plans??...so maybe they already had no intention of really doing it
The plans are dated January 1994 and Lee took over in December, so it’s just an early version of the plan. Their main aim was to get the Kippax sorted and I think they’d based the drawings on a basic version of what they intended, plus at that time Swales’s plan was to build a second tier on the back half of the Kippax and bolt plastic seats on to the front half existing terracing. Lee may have based these images on Swales’s Kippax.

Lee tried to get special dispensation to retain terracing at Maine Rd for one further season to give them time to get the plans right. NUFC were given an extra year but City were not and so after these plans were produced they focused on getting as big a capacity as possible in a new Kippax. No doubt the longer term would’ve been altered to reflect that.

I do know that at the time the Kippax was built Lee definitely believed he could achieve a 50,000 capacity be doing this plan -or a version of it - on the January version of the plan the final capacity is only a little over 45,000, suggesting the 3rd tier may have added something to that and perhaps could be replicated, at least at the Main Stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.