Old Maine Road photos thread

That’s the one I refer to here:
Gary
it wasnt a plan - there was an illustration of the ground. it looked superb

Attachments

• 9564DB7A-5CC5-43AD-B37D-0671D5B056FA.jpeg
    9564DB7A-5CC5-43AD-B37D-0671D5B056FA.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 101
They put the first seats in the Platt Lane stand for his meetings. That gave City the idea.
You’re right… and on the Kippax too:

I’m with you on this. It was a tournament for ‘Cities’, not football clubs as such. London entered a team one year.
I totally agree and explain why the Fairs Cup is not something I count in span of success here:

I explain about the rules and that it was not a UEFA tournament. But, to the wider world, the Fairs Cup counts as a European trophy. So if we say City were first to win a European and domestic trophy in same season we can and do get shot down by others. It‘s much better to simply add the word ‘major’ before ‘European and domestic’ or to say first to win a UEFA tournament and domestic cup in same season.

The Fairs Cup entry rules were a nonsense at times as I’ve said often, but to the wider football world it’s seen as a European trophy. For me it’s not a UEFA tournament and when Leeds’ double was won the League Cup didn’t have all 92 clubs enter, so that’s not ‘major’ either at that time I’d argue. When City won it all 92 clubs entered.

I know which one you mean… it was in colour and given away as a poster. I have one somewhere but that website story of mine does have an illustration too. It’s black and white from my book Farewell To Maine Road:
https://wordpress.com/post/gjfootballarchive.com/10758

Heres a screenshot of it:
Wasn't there a plan in the seventies to redevelop the stadium and put a carpark on the roof of the Kippax?

I totally agree and explain why the Fairs Cup is not something I count in span of success here:

I explain about the rules and that it was not a UEFA tournament. But, to the wider world, the Fairs Cup counts as a European trophy. So if we say City were first to win a European and domestic trophy in same season we can and do get shot down by others. It‘s much better to simply add the word ‘major’ before ‘European and domestic’ or to say first to win a UEFA tournament and domestic cup in same season.

The Fairs Cup entry rules were a nonsense at times as I’ve said often, but to the wider football world it’s seen as a European trophy. For me it’s not a UEFA tournament and when Leeds’ double was won the League Cup didn’t have all 92 clubs enter, so that’s not ‘major’ either at that time I’d argue. When City won it all 92 clubs entered.
Cheers Gary

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.