Old Manchester cinemas

Probably already mentioned but the two I remember going to in my younger days were:

The Aaben on Jackson Crescent in Hulme. Formerly called The York before my time.

Now housing.

50873809f2116155c1f3427f3d0c422f.jpg

And the ABC on Palatine Road in Northenden. Formerly The Forum. Not to be confused with the Forum which came later in Wythenshawe town centre.

Now a Johovah Witness gaff.

e39a1de617517a1aad1bca746ad32696.jpg

Probably already mentioned but the two I remember going to in my younger days were:

The Aaben on Jackson Crescent in Hulme. Formerly called The York before my time.

Now housing.

And the ABC on Palatine Road in Northenden. Formerly The Forum. Not to be confused with the Forum which came later in Wythenshawe town centre.

The forum was one of my local cinemas as a kid.
Inside it was a beautiful art deco building with terrazzo, fantastic staircase, classic light fittings and a wonderful red and black colour scheme.
My other local was the Cronation just round the corner from the Forum. It was a converted farm building, single story. A genuine flea pit.

The pictures in Middleton were great. There was a little ginnel at the side with those ladders coming down what you see in old New York apartments. We used to climb them to the roof where you could enter through an old shed like building and voila you were in.
Same with the baths in Middleton. There was a door you could go through on the roof that led you straight in (you had to avoid the pipes)

I suppose reading that back my dodgy life started quite young! Haha!

The Roxy in Failsworth. Old guy there with a cane, tall chap, and if you tried to cut the line or generally arsed about he’d whack you with it.

The forum was one of my local cinemas as a kid.
Inside it was a beautiful art deco building with terrazzo, fantastic staircase, classic light fittings and a wonderful red and black colour scheme.
My other local was the Cronation just round the corner from the Forum. It was a converted farm building, single story. A genuine flea pit.
When it was the ABC, my siblings and I used to go there on a Saturday morning, yes we were minors:)
The Coronation, did it turn into a small bingo hall back in the 70’s?

Now housing.

Didn't that become the Jehovah's Witness's place?

The ABC Broadway in Eccles town centre, used to go to the ABC Minors on a saturday morning. Remember watching The Sound of Music with my mum (her favourite film) and a few James Bond films including Diamonds are Forever and You Only Live Twice, happy days!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.